Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Externally defined materials - a resource of examples?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the powerpoint on 'Using External Material Functions in the Structural Mechanics Module' there is a statement: This makes it possible to program your own material models and distribute such models as add-ons.

I hoped that this meant there was some centralised resource where people would upload thier examples, to share/help others? Does something like this exist?

The easy to find examples of the linear material and the linear stiffening are indeed useful, but personally I really want an example of a simple neohookean material to work from as a base line. I presume you cant call from any inbuilt libraries to calculate principal stretches/invariants from the strain tensor - so a resource would be useful to a lot of people, so we dont need to code these things from scratch.

I can see how this wouldn't be advantageous to the company as it would mean people can shortcut the need for the nonlinear module, but it would accelerate community driven progress.

Am I calling for something that already exists?

Ill be writing my own neohookean code and validating it as its the obvious thing to do, but if anyone has done this before, please get in contact.

1 Reply Last Post 5 oct. 2018, 05:34 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Safar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Mats Danielsson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 5 oct. 2018, 05:34 UTC−4
Updated: 6 years ago 5 oct. 2018, 05:35 UTC−4

Hello Alex,

A collection of information about External Materials can be found here:

https://www.comsol.com/model/external-material-examples-structural-mechanics-32331

Starting from version 5.4, there is a library of utility functions that you can use when you develop external materials. The library contains functions for common operations in solid mechanics, such as computing eigenvalues / eigenvectors of symmetric second-order tensors. Hopefully you can find what you need there.

Good luck!

Mats

Hello Alex, A collection of information about External Materials can be found here: https://www.comsol.com/model/external-material-examples-structural-mechanics-32331 Starting from version 5.4, there is a library of utility functions that you can use when you develop external materials. The library contains functions for common operations in solid mechanics, such as computing eigenvalues / eigenvectors of symmetric second-order tensors. Hopefully you can find what you need there. Good luck! Mats

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.