Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

DEP force in liquids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the DEP force on a water drop in order to study its deformation. For the water drop I use "Moving mesh/Phase Field" interface and for the electric field "Electrostatics".

I introduce the force as a "Volume force" node in the CFD module as Kd(es.Ex,x), being K a constant, but everytime this error appears:

"The following feature has encountered a problem: Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged."

I tried with EP force instead of DEP just to check (an arbitrary charge times the electric field) and in this case everything is fine.

Could anybody give me some clue about what I am doing wrong?

Thank you very much!

1 Reply Last Post 2 nov. 2017, 14:10 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2 nov. 2017, 14:10 UTC−4

If EP works fine the problem should lie in differential. My intuition is that you might need to fine tune the mesh on the interface where the electric field rapidly changes.

-------------------
Seeking collaborating partners for comsol consulting service
If EP works fine the problem should lie in differential. My intuition is that you might need to fine tune the mesh on the interface where the electric field rapidly changes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.