Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling to a ring resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am having trouble with coupling from a waveguide to a ring resonator. Light is guided along the waveguide however it is not coupled to the ring resonator (the gap is close enough). How should I define the boundary conditions? I basically would like to see the spectrum of the ring resonator. Is it possible in Comsol?

thanks,
Damla

5 Replies Last Post 12 mars 2013, 03:50 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 mars 2011, 16:37 UTC−4
Hi

your gap must be "closed" hence be part of the simulation, else the field/flux is not going to "jump the gap" But the material properties of this gap is not necessarily a solid, "empty" vacuum is also possible, with its RF properties, but it must be there and meshed

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi your gap must be "closed" hence be part of the simulation, else the field/flux is not going to "jump the gap" But the material properties of this gap is not necessarily a solid, "empty" vacuum is also possible, with its RF properties, but it must be there and meshed -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 avr. 2012, 15:30 UTC−4
Hi Damla,

I'm trying to do the same thing as you, I was wondering if you have any success in modeling the ring resonator in comsol and/or what troubles do you found on the way.

Thanks in advance.
--
Felipe
Hi Damla, I'm trying to do the same thing as you, I was wondering if you have any success in modeling the ring resonator in comsol and/or what troubles do you found on the way. Thanks in advance. -- Felipe

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 avr. 2012, 08:42 UTC−4
Hi Felipe and Damla,

I'm also studying the effect of coupling waveguides to a ring resonator. May we share the result of your simulation and compare the notes if you able to get the results.

Please do email me at zuldrac@yahoo.com

Thanks
Hi Felipe and Damla, I'm also studying the effect of coupling waveguides to a ring resonator. May we share the result of your simulation and compare the notes if you able to get the results. Please do email me at zuldrac@yahoo.com Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov. 2012, 18:04 UTC−4
Hi Felipe, Damia and Zulhisham,

I'm working on ring resonator now and I would like to do a simulation with an axial symmetric geometry to find the ring modes.

But I didn't see any confined mode. Have you ever tried to do this kind of simulation?

Thank you

Sara
Hi Felipe, Damia and Zulhisham, I'm working on ring resonator now and I would like to do a simulation with an axial symmetric geometry to find the ring modes. But I didn't see any confined mode. Have you ever tried to do this kind of simulation? Thank you Sara

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mars 2013, 03:50 UTC−4
Hi Sara,

I am doing the same thing as you, but I have no idea how to use the axial symmetric geometry to analysis the mode in the cross section of a ring resonator which is coupling with a slab waveguide. Have you manage to see mode there? Could you share some setting tips?

My email is ying,ma@tu-harburg.de

Thanks alooooot :)

Ying
Hi Sara, I am doing the same thing as you, but I have no idea how to use the axial symmetric geometry to analysis the mode in the cross section of a ring resonator which is coupling with a slab waveguide. Have you manage to see mode there? Could you share some setting tips? My email is ying,ma@tu-harburg.de Thanks alooooot :) Ying

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.