Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time simulation with limited number of periods

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to simulate a simple system - a piezoelectric disc vibrating in air, with a reflecting surface. My aim is to observe the reflection of the sound waves when they are back to the disc. Problem, I want to send only 2 periods of signal (sine or square signal), but when I use the Functions in Comsol, I find no way to stop it.

Then, my question is probably basic, but I did not find it on the Internet for the while : how to implement a limited time signal in Comsol (that is, the simulation continues to run when the signal ends) ? I use Comsol 5.2 (the message editor does not allow me to put version and recommended topics...).

Thanks,
Thibaut

5 Replies Last Post 6 juil. 2017, 10:34 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 8 juin 2017, 10:57 UTC−4

One option: f(t) = sin(omega*t)*(t<t0)

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
One option: f(t) = sin(omega*t)*(t

Posted: 7 years ago 8 juin 2017, 11:10 UTC−4
This was that simple !

And it seems to work, thank you very much Edgar !

Thibaut
This was that simple ! And it seems to work, thank you very much Edgar ! Thibaut

Posted: 7 years ago 12 juin 2017, 08:01 UTC−4
Hi,

I have finally another problem, probably due to piezoelectric materials, but maybe to COMSOL itself.

Using Edgar's Suggestion, the voltage excitation stops after t0, but the disc keeps vibrating. I first thought this was free vibrations due to relaxation, and to the fact I initially did not put any losses. But these vibrations are still here with 100% of mechanical losses, and the same with adding dielectric or coupling losses.

Note that these free vibrations have about the same amplitude than with excitation.

Does anyone know why I obtain such a behavior ? The bottom boundary of the disc is a roller.

Thanks,
Thibaut
Hi, I have finally another problem, probably due to piezoelectric materials, but maybe to COMSOL itself. Using Edgar's Suggestion, the voltage excitation stops after t0, but the disc keeps vibrating. I first thought this was free vibrations due to relaxation, and to the fact I initially did not put any losses. But these vibrations are still here with 100% of mechanical losses, and the same with adding dielectric or coupling losses. Note that these free vibrations have about the same amplitude than with excitation. Does anyone know why I obtain such a behavior ? The bottom boundary of the disc is a roller. Thanks, Thibaut

Posted: 7 years ago 13 juin 2017, 06:08 UTC−4
I may have found a solution, using a Gaussian function to smooth the start and stop of the signal.

I have some good results with a sine signal (the free vibrations are about 100 times lower in amplitude than those obtained with excitation), but this does not work with a square signal.

Does anyone know if there is a way to force the system not to move after a certain time ?

Thanks,
Thibaut
I may have found a solution, using a Gaussian function to smooth the start and stop of the signal. I have some good results with a sine signal (the free vibrations are about 100 times lower in amplitude than those obtained with excitation), but this does not work with a square signal. Does anyone know if there is a way to force the system not to move after a certain time ? Thanks, Thibaut

Posted: 7 years ago 6 juil. 2017, 10:34 UTC−4
It seems that using "Quasi-static", under "Structural Transient Behavior" for "Solid Mechanics" makes it ok.
It seems that using "Quasi-static", under "Structural Transient Behavior" for "Solid Mechanics" makes it ok.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.