Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compute study for only the 2D cross section of a 3D geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have made a 3D model in COMSOL vs 5.2a of a microfluidics channel and am attempting to model the DEP response of cells in the channel to the presence of an electric field created by electrodes on the channel floor. In an effort to to now cut down the computation time, I have made a 2D geometry component by following this example (briefly: I made a workplane in my 3D model then made a new component whose 2D geometry is defined as the cross section of the 3D geometry along that workplane. www.comsol.com/blogs/creating-2d-models-from-3d-geometries-in-comsol-multiphysics/). The 2D geometry looks great but my questions now are:

1. Is there a fast or automatic way to transfer all the physics from the 3D model to the 2D cross section or do I need to redefine all the physics modules for the 2D geometry? (for example: the inlet and outlet of fluid flow, the electric potential applied to various electrodes, the materials within the interior of the channel, etc).

2. How do I make a study that will compute the solution only for the 2D geometry and not the 3D geometry so I can achieve faster simulation times? When I add a study I don't see any way to specify the study to operate only one geometry. or is the answer to make a new program that only has the 2D model to begin with?

I am new to COMSOL so I may not be phrasing this question very clearly, but please let me know if you have any answers, suggestions, or could use some clarification.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Shari

1 Reply Last Post 9 mai 2017, 03:55 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shari Yosinski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Alexandre Martins Alves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 9 mai 2017, 03:55 UTC−4
Hi Shari,

I was questioning myself about a similar situation. At the end, I did the new physics module manually, but if you could solve this, please share here!

In fact for me, I've made a 2D simulation and needed to transform it in a 3D simulation. The thing is that the results from both simulations are unequal and I don't find my error or a justificative for that happen.

Best,

Alexandre
Hi Shari, I was questioning myself about a similar situation. At the end, I did the new physics module manually, but if you could solve this, please share here! In fact for me, I've made a 2D simulation and needed to transform it in a 3D simulation. The thing is that the results from both simulations are unequal and I don't find my error or a justificative for that happen. Best, Alexandre

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.