Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal Analysis of Circuit Boards

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am a very new user to COMSOL Multiphysics and I represent a group of students attempting to use the program to conduct thermal analysis on PCBs in a CubeSat. To conduct the thermal analysis we currently design the boards in SolidWorks using basic geometries for heat producing components (Cubes and such). We then model the components in COMSOL as “heat sources” inputting Q as power dissipated by the component divided by volume. We set the materials of the component as the primary material of the component (Most are silicon). We further simulate convection ht via an inward heat flux on all surfaces inputting h. Are results, though are off and unrealistic in many different simulations. My question, is there an easier way to conduct this analysis? Are we simplifying are model too much that it becomes inaccurate? Are we missing anything?

I understand that this is a broad question, but I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. I can post one of my COMSOL files if it would help to see exactly what we are doing.

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 23 janv. 2011, 10:36 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2011, 15:35 UTC−5
There is a CubeSat Forum:
cubesat.ifastnet.com/forum

If you ask the same question there, somebody with experience in thermal analysis but also in CUBESATS could answer you question or at least offer you some suggestions.
There is a CubeSat Forum: http://cubesat.ifastnet.com/forum If you ask the same question there, somebody with experience in thermal analysis but also in CUBESATS could answer you question or at least offer you some suggestions.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2011, 21:51 UTC−5
Thank you for your help. Does anyone else have any other tips or knowledge of the subject at hand?
Thank you for your help. Does anyone else have any other tips or knowledge of the subject at hand?

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 janv. 2011, 00:42 UTC−5
You got an answer on that forum I mentioned.
You got an answer on that forum I mentioned.

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 janv. 2011, 10:36 UTC−5
Thanks. I have saw that and I am responding accordingly.
Thanks. I have saw that and I am responding accordingly.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.