Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Port or Lumped Port With Matched Impedance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently working on an RF Module/Heat Transfer multiphysics model. Basically, I want to simulate a system with a port/lumped port for which the impedance is matched to my system's impedance, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it systematically on Comsol. Is there anyway to set up a port/lumped port such that there is no reflection at the port (hence no standing waves due to reflection)?

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 29 nov. 2016, 09:26 UTC−5

Posted: 8 years ago 29 nov. 2016, 03:03 UTC−5
Construct PML ( Perfectly matched layer ) boundary around your geometry.
Construct PML ( Perfectly matched layer ) boundary around your geometry.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 nov. 2016, 09:26 UTC−5
Hi Deepshikha,

Thanks for the suggestion! I have thought about that as well, but there are two things that bother me with it:
- PML makes sure there is no reflection at my model's boundaries, but not necessarily specifically at my port and between the port and its load
- PML ensures absorption of the input power by the {Load + PML} system, but that doesn't fix the amount of power that actually ends up in my load.

To give you more context, I am trying to simulate the behavior of my setup in the frequency domain, for a fixed amount of power ending up in the load, independently of frequency. In the lab, we have specific matching networks that allow us to make sure the net power consumed by our load is fixed - I am trying to replicate that with the simulation.

Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again!
Hi Deepshikha, Thanks for the suggestion! I have thought about that as well, but there are two things that bother me with it: - PML makes sure there is no reflection at my model's boundaries, but not necessarily specifically at my port and between the port and its load - PML ensures absorption of the input power by the {Load + PML} system, but that doesn't fix the amount of power that actually ends up in my load. To give you more context, I am trying to simulate the behavior of my setup in the frequency domain, for a fixed amount of power ending up in the load, independently of frequency. In the lab, we have specific matching networks that allow us to make sure the net power consumed by our load is fixed - I am trying to replicate that with the simulation. Please let me know if that makes sense and if you have any suggestions. Thanks again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.