Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I got a mesh error when I make a simulation about eddy current.
My model consist of 4 parts including plate, coil, shield and air.
I meshed the plate, coil and shield without any problem but I can not mesh the air domain successfully.
Could anyone help me about this? Why such a error is produced?

Attached is my model. Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post 17 janv. 2015, 01:34 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 janv. 2011, 10:38 UTC−5
Hi

I believe some of the difficulties comes from the hollow region in your thin section, if you do not add you two "differences" and leave these volumes as is (it adds a few interiour boundaries but thsat is not too important). Then "box" your coil with a box that fits the coil cylinder and matches the rectangular guide, it should help.

mesh these interiour parts just after the main structure but before the air box

Furthermore, you might have some issues with the size differences of your large air box and the dense meshing on the metal parts, for that it somethimes works better to add a second box not too tight around the geoemtry and mesh that first, before the large air box, that can be meshed rather coarse.

Finally, check your materials, the coil is currently "air" and will that is not giving a verry good conductiivty ;)

As I have only 4.1, and there I can mesh it "as is" all thets with a reasonnable quality, so that is perhaps another way around

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe some of the difficulties comes from the hollow region in your thin section, if you do not add you two "differences" and leave these volumes as is (it adds a few interiour boundaries but thsat is not too important). Then "box" your coil with a box that fits the coil cylinder and matches the rectangular guide, it should help. mesh these interiour parts just after the main structure but before the air box Furthermore, you might have some issues with the size differences of your large air box and the dense meshing on the metal parts, for that it somethimes works better to add a second box not too tight around the geoemtry and mesh that first, before the large air box, that can be meshed rather coarse. Finally, check your materials, the coil is currently "air" and will that is not giving a verry good conductiivty ;) As I have only 4.1, and there I can mesh it "as is" all thets with a reasonnable quality, so that is perhaps another way around -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2011, 02:28 UTC−5
Hi,

Ivar, thank you very much. I have modified the model as your suggestions. It has been meshed successfully but another problem was encountered. I want to compute it but it calculates very slowly when the progress of linear solver is 96%. why? what results in this.

Best regards
Hi, Ivar, thank you very much. I have modified the model as your suggestions. It has been meshed successfully but another problem was encountered. I want to compute it but it calculates very slowly when the progress of linear solver is 96%. why? what results in this. Best regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2011, 03:55 UTC−5
Hi

I noticed that in 4.1 the default mesh became rather fine so it needed some 16Mb RAM for me , this requires some time to solve, and if you do not have enough RAM it might well start to swap, and then COMSOL (as any other programme) is becoming very slow

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I noticed that in 4.1 the default mesh became rather fine so it needed some 16Mb RAM for me , this requires some time to solve, and if you do not have enough RAM it might well start to swap, and then COMSOL (as any other programme) is becoming very slow -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 17 janv. 2015, 01:34 UTC−5
hi sir
My problem is the mesh of a default (air) in the interior of the metal structure.
can I have your hand a model in COMSOL.
thank you
hi sir My problem is the mesh of a default (air) in the interior of the metal structure. can I have your hand a model in COMSOL. thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.