Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to create a coefficient that depends on water content

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm dealing with a 2 coupled PDE problem, related with diffusion of water in porous media, where the two variables are the temperature and the relative humidity.

I want to introduce a thermal conductivity which depends on the water content, k(w), but once I define it, it says that "I don't know what's w". I also defined w as an analytic function dependent on the relative humidity.

My question is: Can I define a coefficient that depends on a variable? (Apart from P or T)

Thanks a lot.
Regards,

Adrian

3 Replies Last Post 13 juil. 2016, 09:36 UTC−4
Eric Favre COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 8 juil. 2016, 13:16 UTC−4
Hello Adrian,

what you discuss here is actually part of the Heat Transfer module in v5.2a.
This is covered by the "heat and moisture transport" multiphysics coupling.
See
www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/heat-transfer-module
You probably want to have a look in those directions.

Good luck,
Eric Favre
Comsol France
Hello Adrian, what you discuss here is actually part of the Heat Transfer module in v5.2a. This is covered by the "heat and moisture transport" multiphysics coupling. See www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/heat-transfer-module You probably want to have a look in those directions. Good luck, Eric Favre Comsol France

Posted: 8 years ago 12 juil. 2016, 10:42 UTC−4
Hello Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I saw the new features in the 5.2a version and it looks really powerful and practical. However, I wanted to try my own mathematical model, instead of using the models already defined by the program, as a part of my master thesis.

By the way, I wanted to know where I can find a complete guide/tutorial about the PDE interface in the 5.2 version (I could only find the guide for the modules that are already created).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Adrian Sanchez
Hello Eric, Thank you for your reply. I saw the new features in the 5.2a version and it looks really powerful and practical. However, I wanted to try my own mathematical model, instead of using the models already defined by the program, as a part of my master thesis. By the way, I wanted to know where I can find a complete guide/tutorial about the PDE interface in the 5.2 version (I could only find the guide for the modules that are already created). Thank you in advance for your help. Regards, Adrian Sanchez

Eric Favre COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 13 juil. 2016, 09:36 UTC−4
Dear Adrian,

Feel free to browse the documentation, there are multiple entries related to equation based modeling. There is no unique entry point though since modifying or coupling equations is part of COMSOL Multiphysics and is applicable to the entire product or physics.
Usually you need to have a good reason to reproduce something that is already integrated in a module.
Other sources of informations are the blogs and the existing applications (multiphysics models).

Eric Favre
COMSOL France
Dear Adrian, Feel free to browse the documentation, there are multiple entries related to equation based modeling. There is no unique entry point though since modifying or coupling equations is part of COMSOL Multiphysics and is applicable to the entire product or physics. Usually you need to have a good reason to reproduce something that is already integrated in a module. Other sources of informations are the blogs and the existing applications (multiphysics models). Eric Favre COMSOL France

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.