Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gradient in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

I'm using comsol for the first time, and I think I've got everything working, except that I need to write a boundary condition that is dependent upon the gradient of a variable. How do I tell Comsol to take the gradient?
v =?k *F*C*?phi/mu

2 Replies Last Post 25 mars 2011, 18:40 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 déc. 2010, 03:22 UTC−5
Hi

it takes some time to get used to COMSOL 's notation, therefore its very usefull to read a couple of times the doc, but this takes also time ;)

a dependent variable "u" in the spatial cartesian coordinates x,y,z has derivatives named ux=d/dx(u) a "gradient" = [ux, uy, uz] and the "del"=uxx+uyy+uzz

pls note too that COMSOL is working in then cartesian coordinate system and not all operators are coordinate transformed invariant, so if you change you must check when you need to add corrections. COMSOl does allow to define local user coordinates that helps you set up your moel, and allos COMSOL to reconvert back to cartesian

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it takes some time to get used to COMSOL 's notation, therefore its very usefull to read a couple of times the doc, but this takes also time ;) a dependent variable "u" in the spatial cartesian coordinates x,y,z has derivatives named ux=d/dx(u) a "gradient" = [ux, uy, uz] and the "del"=uxx+uyy+uzz pls note too that COMSOL is working in then cartesian coordinate system and not all operators are coordinate transformed invariant, so if you change you must check when you need to add corrections. COMSOl does allow to define local user coordinates that helps you set up your moel, and allos COMSOL to reconvert back to cartesian -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mars 2011, 18:40 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,

I go the simulation done but I have some doubt perhas you can give me some advice.
The result of solid.sx and solid.sy are both seems reasonable and appear to be symmetry. However, when I
d(solid.sx,X), the result is no more sysmetry. I was expecting to have symmetry result as well. Could you please give me advice?
Thanks
WK
Hi Ivar, I go the simulation done but I have some doubt perhas you can give me some advice. The result of solid.sx and solid.sy are both seems reasonable and appear to be symmetry. However, when I d(solid.sx,X), the result is no more sysmetry. I was expecting to have symmetry result as well. Could you please give me advice? Thanks WK

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.