Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add a static current in Electromagnetic wave transient study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on a problem using electromagnetic waves transient module. I want to study the interaction between incident EM waves and an annulus conductor in which a static current is flowing on it.

It is easy to set up the incident EM waves using scattering boundary condition. My question is how can I establish the static current in the annulus conductor?

I can establish a static current in AC/DC module, such as the MEF study by putting a voltage difference on the two ends of the conductor. But it seems in electromagnetic waves transient study I can not define a voltage on the conductor end.

Any comment would be highly appreciated.

Zhang

2 Replies Last Post 29 avr. 2016, 01:28 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 28 avr. 2016, 22:42 UTC−4
You can specify a current density without a time dependence.
Bear in mind that in a true full-wave formalism, there is no unique "voltage difference" between two locations, since the path-integral of E dot dL between any two points becomes path-dependent. So, I recommend you specify something else that is less ambiguous physically, such as (as you said) a current density, or a field, or perhaps even use a lumped port.
You can specify a current density without a time dependence. Bear in mind that in a true full-wave formalism, there is no unique "voltage difference" between two locations, since the path-integral of E dot dL between any two points becomes path-dependent. So, I recommend you specify something else that is less ambiguous physically, such as (as you said) a current density, or a field, or perhaps even use a lumped port.

Posted: 8 years ago 29 avr. 2016, 01:28 UTC−4
Dear Robert,

Thanks for your kind response. I understand your point that voltage is not well defined in full-wave formalism since curlE is not zero in dynamic case. Therefore voltage can not be used as the dependent variables in EM wave module. However in EC or MEF module, it can be used as the dependent variable.

So just forget the voltage. What I need in EM wave transient study is a static current propagating in the conductor and such current distribution CAN also be affected by other input such as the incident magnetic field through effects such as Hall effect. I am afraid that if I specify a current density without time dependence, this current density will be treated as a constant or external current density that will not be changed by other effects in my simulation process. Maybe lumped port is a choice?

Regards,
Zhang
Dear Robert, Thanks for your kind response. I understand your point that voltage is not well defined in full-wave formalism since curlE is not zero in dynamic case. Therefore voltage can not be used as the dependent variables in EM wave module. However in EC or MEF module, it can be used as the dependent variable. So just forget the voltage. What I need in EM wave transient study is a static current propagating in the conductor and such current distribution CAN also be affected by other input such as the incident magnetic field through effects such as Hall effect. I am afraid that if I specify a current density without time dependence, this current density will be treated as a constant or external current density that will not be changed by other effects in my simulation process. Maybe lumped port is a choice? Regards, Zhang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.