Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

prevent mesh size changing after the deformation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am very new in COMSOL and physic simulations. I need to apply some robotic experiments on deformed objects. But before applying it to real objects, I want to test some setups using a simulation.

I created the attached deformation simulation. As I said, I don't have the sufficient physic knowledge to setup such experiment so I almost did it with intuition and with the help of tutorials, wiki etc.
So please let me know if you see any nonsense.

My aim is to deform an object by pushing from different places. So as a dummy experiment, I create a cube. I set its young modulus to three different values to simulate different stiffness degrees(low, medium, high). Then I apply a force to the middle top surface. At first I wanted the object to be free on a surface. But I couldn't manage to arrange such setup so I just fixed the bottom. So if you know how to simulate a free deformable object on a surface such as a table, please inform me.

My actual question is this: after I deform the object, I want to get the new positions of the vertices. So I remesh the deformed configuration to get that information. But the number of vertices changes from the initial setup. So I don't know where the initial vertex nodes go exactly after the deformation. I need that information in order to find the displacement of each node of the initial mesh and to calculate the velocity of the nodes.

So how can I keep the size of the nodes the same?

Best regards,
Püren

1 Reply Last Post 26 avr. 2016, 14:03 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 26 avr. 2016, 14:03 UTC−4
Is using moving mesh can be a solution for that by the way? I did the same thing using moving mesh. But cannot save the node positions of the deformed mesh. Any help?
Is using moving mesh can be a solution for that by the way? I did the same thing using moving mesh. But cannot save the node positions of the deformed mesh. Any help?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.