Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D model of a savonius wind turbine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all
I'm trying to model a 2D representation of a savonius wind turbine. I already have used Laminar flow, Moving mesh and Solid Mechanics. An inlet boundary condition with U=10m/s and an outlet with p=0 has been used. Also I used a rigid connector to define rotation of blades. Furthermore a boundary load equals "p" is applied at the turbine boundaries to play the role of rotating force. In the moving mesh module a prescribed mesh velocity has been used for the turbine boundaries and the circular rotating domain around the turbine blades have a Free deformation property. I used a Free triangular mesh for the model. A Time dependent study has also been used. I have the following questions:
1-What is the expression to derive the torque of the turbine? I want to calculate the T*w to find the power of the turbine. Furthermore I'm not sure about the w (rotating velocity).
2-My model now works for a very small time range (about 0.03s) and then the solver cannot converge. I think it is due to the large deformations of the mesh. What should I do to solve this problem?
Regards

0 Replies Last Post 30 mars 2016, 01:25 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Jackson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.