Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to integrate heat pipes in a cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello
I am beginner with Comsol (Version 5.2) and I need to modelize a geothermal tunnel.The principe is to integrate pipes (serpentine) into the tunnel's walls (whith cylindric geometry) to absorbe the heat from the soil.I am in 3D model and I used "Serpentine Channel 3D Rounded" which are plane and I can't make them curved.
Attached a file containing schema of geothermal tunnel explaining more the principe.
Any one can help? Thanks in advance

14 Replies Last Post 1 avr. 2016, 13:40 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 08:24 UTC−4
Hello Soussi,
Your work can best be done with the Pipe Flow Module (www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module), which allows you to model curvilinear pipes as 1D entities, saving you memory and solution time.
These 1D curves can be created in a number of way, the most flexible options being "Parametric Curve" (When you know an equation for the curve) and "Interpolation Curve" (When you know the coordinates of a few points on the curve), and they can be embedded in 3D objects to represent the interaction of the pipe with its surroundings.

A couple of models that will help you get going are the following:
www.comsol.com/model/geothermal-heating-from-a-pond-loop-12167
www.comsol.com/model/cooling-of-an-injection-mold-12371
www.comsol.com/model/heat-recovery-system-for-a-geothermal-heat-pump-18529

Best,
Jeff
Hello Soussi, Your work can best be done with the Pipe Flow Module (http://www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module), which allows you to model curvilinear pipes as 1D entities, saving you memory and solution time. These 1D curves can be created in a number of way, the most flexible options being "Parametric Curve" (When you know an equation for the curve) and "Interpolation Curve" (When you know the coordinates of a few points on the curve), and they can be embedded in 3D objects to represent the interaction of the pipe with its surroundings. A couple of models that will help you get going are the following: http://www.comsol.com/model/geothermal-heating-from-a-pond-loop-12167 http://www.comsol.com/model/cooling-of-an-injection-mold-12371 http://www.comsol.com/model/heat-recovery-system-for-a-geothermal-heat-pump-18529 Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 09:01 UTC−4
Thanks a lot for your answer

But it seems complicate to create pipes around 12m tunnel diameter with "interpolation curve",in fact, I need about 90 serpentines and I can't found the equation of this pipes in the wall's tunnel .
I think about creating pipes in vertical plan where I can use array and copy, then to incurve it .What do you think Sir?

Attached the model of plan pipes that I created
Thanks a lot for your answer But it seems complicate to create pipes around 12m tunnel diameter with "interpolation curve",in fact, I need about 90 serpentines and I can't found the equation of this pipes in the wall's tunnel . I think about creating pipes in vertical plan where I can use array and copy, then to incurve it .What do you think Sir? Attached the model of plan pipes that I created

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 10:27 UTC−4
A few ideas come to mind.
One is illustrated in the attached file: you create a custom function to specify one period of the planar curve, then use an analytic function to "periodize" it, and finally you use a parametric curve to "wrap it around a cylinder".
Alternatively, you could build this geometry programmatically using the App Builder (or LiveLink for MATLAB if you have MATLAB): each straight segment and each curved segment is easy to draw with its own parametric curve, and then it's just a matter of doing a for loop.
Best,
Jeff
A few ideas come to mind. One is illustrated in the attached file: you create a custom function to specify one period of the planar curve, then use an analytic function to "periodize" it, and finally you use a parametric curve to "wrap it around a cylinder". Alternatively, you could build this geometry programmatically using the App Builder (or LiveLink for MATLAB if you have MATLAB): each straight segment and each curved segment is easy to draw with its own parametric curve, and then it's just a matter of doing a for loop. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 10:35 UTC−4
ok Thanks very much , I will try it.
But there is no file attached to your answer
ok Thanks very much , I will try it. But there is no file attached to your answer

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 10:37 UTC−4
Sorry. Now there is!
Sorry. Now there is!

Posted: 8 years ago 18 mars 2016, 10:48 UTC−4
I'm sorry but I still don't found it
I'm sorry but I still don't found it

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 04:58 UTC−4
Dear Jeff, thanks so much for your help.

I have another question.As you had seen, the pipes are incorporated in the tunnel's walls.For physics, I choose heat transfer in solid and heat transfer in pipes.The initial value in "htp" must be "the temperature of walls calculated in ht", but I don't know how to define it,what should I type in the initial value text field T2 in htp??

Thank you in advance
Dear Jeff, thanks so much for your help. I have another question.As you had seen, the pipes are incorporated in the tunnel's walls.For physics, I choose heat transfer in solid and heat transfer in pipes.The initial value in "htp" must be "the temperature of walls calculated in ht", but I don't know how to define it,what should I type in the initial value text field T2 in htp?? Thank you in advance

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 08:03 UTC−4
You may need to refresh the page.
Jeff
You may need to refresh the page. Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 08:05 UTC−4
Follow the approach described in the step-by-step instructions for the models listed at the start of this thread.
Best,
Jeff
Follow the approach described in the step-by-step instructions for the models listed at the start of this thread. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 08:47 UTC−4
Ok Sir I will do and thank you for your kind consideration.

For the curved pipes, I do the same us you to create the function and then to make it periodic (I just changed the expression of the piecewise function) but there is this error when I want to plot the analytic one
" - Fonction: comp1.an1
Echec dans l'évaluation de l'expression.
- Expression: comp1.an1(x)
- Affichage: plot1 (Graphique sur ligne)
- Fonction: an1"

I can't found where is the problem can you,please, help me?.Attached the file that I created

Best,
Chaima
Ok Sir I will do and thank you for your kind consideration. For the curved pipes, I do the same us you to create the function and then to make it periodic (I just changed the expression of the piecewise function) but there is this error when I want to plot the analytic one " - Fonction: comp1.an1 Echec dans l'évaluation de l'expression. - Expression: comp1.an1(x) - Affichage: plot1 (Graphique sur ligne) - Fonction: an1" I can't found where is the problem can you,please, help me?.Attached the file that I created Best, Chaima

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 10:32 UTC−4
Hello Soussi,
If you require further support from COMSOL, please contact the COMSOL support team at support@comsol.com or www.comsol.com/support .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Soussi, If you require further support from COMSOL, please contact the COMSOL support team at support@comsol.com or www.comsol.com/support . Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 21 mars 2016, 10:52 UTC−4
Ok thank you very much
Chaima
Ok thank you very much Chaima

Posted: 8 years ago 1 avr. 2016, 11:11 UTC−4
Hello Jeff

So I succeeded to draw the curved pipes whith the method that you explained to me, but some errors came and I can't solve them.I attached a file explaining them and the mph file.
Can you please help me?
Thanks a lot

Chaima
Hello Jeff So I succeeded to draw the curved pipes whith the method that you explained to me, but some errors came and I can't solve them.I attached a file explaining them and the mph file. Can you please help me? Thanks a lot Chaima

Posted: 8 years ago 1 avr. 2016, 13:40 UTC−4
Please contact the COMSOL support team at support@comsol.com or www.comsol.com/support .
Best regards,
Jeff
Please contact the COMSOL support team at support@comsol.com or www.comsol.com/support . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.