Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solving for Diffusivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using the Transport of Dilute Species Module(time dependent study) for my project. In this module I am required to solve for N according to the equation N=-D∇c where D is the diffusivity and c is the concentration . Is there a way to solve for Diffusivity (D) if the other two parameters are known? Or is there another way to solve for it? , as the module will only let me solve for N.

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 3 mars 2016, 08:11 UTC−5

Posted: 8 years ago 3 mars 2016, 07:46 UTC−5
Hi,

Yes, you can. If you know N at steady state, then simply divide N by gradC to get D.

If not steady state, then you need to fit the flux (N) data using some minimization method (inverse analysis). Look for standard text book on how D is determined from column experiments.

Suresh
Hi, Yes, you can. If you know N at steady state, then simply divide N by gradC to get D. If not steady state, then you need to fit the flux (N) data using some minimization method (inverse analysis). Look for standard text book on how D is determined from column experiments. Suresh

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 3 mars 2016, 08:11 UTC−5
I am not sure whether this is what you are tying to accomplish, but perhaps it is, so here goes.
It is possible with the Optimization module to solve what is known as an inverse problem, meaning that you ask for COMSOL to find the spatially-dependent material properties (or other inputs to the forward problem) such that the results of an analysis match as closely as possible with experimental data. This type of analysis is also referred to as "parameter estimation".
An example can be found at this link:
www.comsol.com/model/aquifer-characterization-4410

Jeff
I am not sure whether this is what you are tying to accomplish, but perhaps it is, so here goes. It is possible with the Optimization module to solve what is known as an inverse problem, meaning that you ask for COMSOL to find the spatially-dependent material properties (or other inputs to the forward problem) such that the results of an analysis match as closely as possible with experimental data. This type of analysis is also referred to as "parameter estimation". An example can be found at this link: http://www.comsol.com/model/aquifer-characterization-4410 Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.