Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with heat transfer between multiple objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
My geometry:
I am using a 3d geometry which is set up as a large block of air and in the middle is a cylinder made of a metal, and inside that I have a cylinder of water (this was made using the difference under geometry and I kept the input object and interior boundaries). This geometry is my attempt at simulating a can of water in a refrigerator.
My set-up:
I am trying to model the heat transfer between the warmer water and can and the cool air surrounding it. I used the physics of "Heat Transfer in Solids" and created 2 sub tabs for "Heat Transfer in Fluids" for the air and the water and set all of those at their appropriate starting conditions. I also created two "Initial Conditions" tabs to set the air at the colder temperature and the other materials at room temperature.
I tried to set up a heat flux between the boundary of the can and water because I saw that a tutorial did it so gave it a try, but it wouldn't let me select anything except for the large box (which I'm not sure if that's what I wanted but I didn't think so)
The study:
I set up my time dependent study range in seconds for (0,1,240) (start,step,stop) (because it's not worth the computing time if the study isn't working still). When I press compute, hoping to see the can and water change temperature over time, it comes up with an image of my object, but there is no change in temperature over the entire time range.

I'm not sure why that is or if it's because the different geometries aren't interacting or if there's a different problem and how to fix that. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 31 janv. 2016, 18:31 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rachel C.

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.