Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to implement the Bingham-Papanastasiou model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear people,

I've recently started using COMSOL (v5.2a), and I was wondering if somebody could help me. At the moment I'm trying the simulate a flow of a Non-Newtonian fluid, a magnetorheological fluid. This means that the dynamic viscosity of it isn't constant, and therefore I want to implement the Bingham-Papanastasiou model for this dynamic viscosity.

An already predifined model in COMSOL for Non-Newtonian fluids is the Carreau model, and here the dynamic viscosity is defined as a function with definitions for the shear rate and strain rate tensor. My main purpose is actually to alter the expression for the dynamics viscosity, because the definitions for the shear rate and the strain rate tensor I will use also.

Nevertheless I don't know how to do this. I was looking at the section where you can define your own parameters and functions, but I don't know how to implement the tensors and vectors for example.

The Bingham-Papanastasiou model is defined as the following: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jbsmse/v32nspe/a04v32nspe.pdf

n = n0 +[ tauy/shearrate] * [1 - exp(-m*shearrate)]

Here n is the dynamic viscosity, n0 is the plastic viscosity, tauy is the yield stress and m is the regularizing parameter. The shear rate and strain tensor D are defined as following, just as in COMSOL for the Carreau model.

shearrate = [2trace(D)^2]^0.5, D = 0.5[div(u) + div(u)^T]

This model I want to implement in COMSOL, any tips on how to do this? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Marc

0 Replies Last Post 20 nov. 2017, 09:41 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marc de Graaf

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.