Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shell-solid coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to know how perform shell-solid coupling in structural mechanics problems.

3 Replies Last Post 29 sept. 2010, 02:37 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 sept. 2010, 03:26 UTC−4
Hi

I would too, to be sure. So far when I dear using such couplings I do check that I have enough overlaps of the solid and shell structure, as the solid has only 3 variables u,v,w and the shell all six including the rotations Rx Ry Rz.

Another way I have tried (but not concluded on) is using the local rotations from the solid results (the antisymmetric deformation gradient component) and link them to the shell rotation DoFs.

I would have to do further tests to validate this, but I have no time for that.
It would be great that somebody did such an analysis, and reported it back here.

No students out there that are looking for a semester work ? ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would too, to be sure. So far when I dear using such couplings I do check that I have enough overlaps of the solid and shell structure, as the solid has only 3 variables u,v,w and the shell all six including the rotations Rx Ry Rz. Another way I have tried (but not concluded on) is using the local rotations from the solid results (the antisymmetric deformation gradient component) and link them to the shell rotation DoFs. I would have to do further tests to validate this, but I have no time for that. It would be great that somebody did such an analysis, and reported it back here. No students out there that are looking for a semester work ? ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 sept. 2010, 19:04 UTC−4
Dear Ivar,

Thank you. In my case, I dont have the solid domain model and the shell, but they are not linked. How did you get that?

Thanks,

Ricardo
Dear Ivar, Thank you. In my case, I dont have the solid domain model and the shell, but they are not linked. How did you get that? Thanks, Ricardo

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 sept. 2010, 02:37 UTC−4
Hi

if you want to mix solid and shell you need to add both "physics", and then link the equations between both at the interfaces, as shell is only represented by surfaces (in 3D). Just as if you need "beams" these are represented by lines/edges in 3D

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want to mix solid and shell you need to add both "physics", and then link the equations between both at the interfaces, as shell is only represented by surfaces (in 3D). Just as if you need "beams" these are represented by lines/edges in 3D -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.