Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Turbulent flow with macroscopic sized particles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm working on simulating a flow that drag particles in a duct.
I already have the flow simulation, but when I try to add particle tracing for fluid flow, the particles go straight and don’t follow the flow.

The data that I’m using is here:
-Material: Air (built in)
-Physics:
*Turbulent Flow K-ε:
-Inlet. 5 m/s
-Outlet. 0
* Particle tracing for fluid flow:
-Particle Properties.
-Particle Properties: 1100[kg/m^3]/]
-Particle Diameter: 1E-3[m]
-Drag Force. Use the data from previous study
-Inlet. Number of particles=10
-Outlet.

The Geometry of the cilinder is 0.22m diameter.

The problem comes with bigger particles. When I use a particle with a diameter lower than 1E-4; it simulates the particle being dragged by the flow. If I use something greater than that; they all go straight.

Do you know if I can simulate bigger particles? i.e. 5mm, 3mm etc.

0 Replies Last Post 27 nov. 2015, 13:42 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Edgar Vasquez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.