Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Magnetic Field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm modeling a 2D representation of a stator core, pretty much some steel sheets in a stack, an airgap and then a face of a pole. I want the magnetic flux to flow from the pole and then towards the stator and investigate the behavior in the stator top package but I'm very confused about the BC's.

I thought the way to go was by defining a Magnetic Scalar Potential at the border of the pole and then a Zero magnetic Scalar Potential at the back of the stator core but that didn't do it. Somehow I want the flux to travel "radially", which would be my -X-direction and then the return flux paths should connect "outward" from the XY-plane back to the source. Unfortunately my .mph file is about 150mb but I attach a picture of my sketch.

I now realize that a potential is the wrong way to go though it doesn't have any direction. Probably didn't spend more then two seconds thinking there xD

I'm also having problem plotting any streamlines that look accurate. That will later be the goal of the study to look at the overlapping fieldlines.

Best regards,

2 Replies Last Post 18 sept. 2015, 02:18 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 17 sept. 2015, 13:49 UTC−4
Hi

I have some problems to understand correctly your issue, and sorry the image is not enough for me, but here are some points that might give some insight

1) you talk about 2D in a cut view but use the term "stator and rotor" which for me indicates a 2D-axi model or ?
2) to define a magnet you should add a new domain node of magnetic material, select the material and you select the magnetisation property M and put in something like your magnet Hc in kA/m see one of the examples in the application library

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have some problems to understand correctly your issue, and sorry the image is not enough for me, but here are some points that might give some insight 1) you talk about 2D in a cut view but use the term "stator and rotor" which for me indicates a 2D-axi model or ? 2) to define a magnet you should add a new domain node of magnetic material, select the material and you select the magnetisation property M and put in something like your magnet Hc in kA/m see one of the examples in the application library -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 18 sept. 2015, 02:18 UTC−4
Sorry, its a bit confusing. There's no axisymmetric, only 2d. But I assumed that the z-direction was an option in the magnetic vector potential because of
the curl operations needed to solve Maxwell's equations?

I'm looking for some kind of boundary condition where the flux path doesn't return in the xy-plane but in the z-direction? So it looks like it flows from the right to the left and then disappears "outwards" of the screen?

An alternative would be to specify the left part as a north pole while the right would be the south pole, and tie them together with some condition.
Sorry, its a bit confusing. There's no axisymmetric, only 2d. But I assumed that the z-direction was an option in the magnetic vector potential because of the curl operations needed to solve Maxwell's equations? I'm looking for some kind of boundary condition where the flux path doesn't return in the xy-plane but in the z-direction? So it looks like it flows from the right to the left and then disappears "outwards" of the screen? An alternative would be to specify the left part as a north pole while the right would be the south pole, and tie them together with some condition.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.