Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to non-dimensionlize time in 5.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
Please, i will be very grateful if some one can help me with this. I am working with dimensionless parameters using comsol 5.1 trial version, but could not have the time in dimensionless form. I clicked at none in general unit system as I use to do in other versions and every thing will be in dimensionless form but that does not seem to work here in 5.1 and the time is showing its unit (s). there is a menu under study1 where i put in the time range, even in that place there is provision for none but all other time units are there. I will be happy if some one can help me with this before the license expire.

Thanks George

2 Replies Last Post 12 août 2015, 03:32 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 12 août 2015, 03:16 UTC−4
Hi

My experience is opposite, there is no time unit. See my attached very simple 1D-model. When you think of non-dimensional problem, you have to convert the equations dimensionless. In the diffusion equation

X = x/L where L is the length of the domain
T = Dt/L² = dimensionless time
C = c/c0 = dimensionmless concentration

Inserting these to Fick's second law we have

partial C over partial T = partial² C over partial X²

Note that you have to give the value 1 to the diffusion coefficient as it disappears from the equation.

BR
Lasse
Hi My experience is opposite, there is no time unit. See my attached very simple 1D-model. When you think of non-dimensional problem, you have to convert the equations dimensionless. In the diffusion equation X = x/L where L is the length of the domain T = Dt/L² = dimensionless time C = c/c0 = dimensionmless concentration Inserting these to Fick's second law we have partial C over partial T = partial² C over partial X² Note that you have to give the value 1 to the diffusion coefficient as it disappears from the equation. BR Lasse

Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 12 août 2015, 03:32 UTC−4
That works in 5.1. On the top node in the model builder tree, set Unit System: none.
Don't forget that you are entitled to technical support from support@comsol.com during your trial period.

Niklas

Hi,
Please, i will be very grateful if some one can help me with this. I am working with dimensionless parameters using comsol 5.1 trial version, but could not have the time in dimensionless form. I clicked at none in general unit system as I use to do in other versions and every thing will be in dimensionless form but that does not seem to work here in 5.1 and the time is showing its unit (s). there is a menu under study1 where i put in the time range, even in that place there is provision for none but all other time units are there. I will be happy if some one can help me with this before the license expire.

Thanks George

That works in 5.1. On the top node in the model builder tree, set Unit System: none. Don't forget that you are entitled to technical support from support@comsol.com during your trial period. Niklas [QUOTE] Hi, Please, i will be very grateful if some one can help me with this. I am working with dimensionless parameters using comsol 5.1 trial version, but could not have the time in dimensionless form. I clicked at none in general unit system as I use to do in other versions and every thing will be in dimensionless form but that does not seem to work here in 5.1 and the time is showing its unit (s). there is a menu under study1 where i put in the time range, even in that place there is provision for none but all other time units are there. I will be happy if some one can help me with this before the license expire. Thanks George [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.