Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat flux boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have to define a boundary condition for a 3D conduction problem, such that the total heat flux into the surface is constant (Qt) and the surface is isothermal.
To do this I was asked to use a temperature boundary condition with variable temperature Tb, and Tb is given by simultaneously solving 'global ODE and DAE',
surface integral(lagrangian multiplier of T)-Qt=0

from what I understand this is equivalent to K*surface integral(grad( T))=Qt

Is this correct?
If yes could someone please explain to me how lagrangian multiplier of T is K*grad(t)
If not how can I implement the boundary condition

Regards
Anjan

2 Replies Last Post 8 août 2015, 07:03 UTC−4
Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 7 août 2015, 03:17 UTC−4
Hi Anjan,

what is your target? An isothermal boundary condition is a Dirichlet boundary condition. You define the temperature.

But if you want to define the temperature in a way that you get a pre defined heat flux you have to set up an integral boundary probe and an additional ODE. Look inside the COMSOL blog. There is an advisable article:

www.comsol.de/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/

Best regards
Michael
Hi Anjan, what is your target? An isothermal boundary condition is a Dirichlet boundary condition. You define the temperature. But if you want to define the temperature in a way that you get a pre defined heat flux you have to set up an integral boundary probe and an additional ODE. Look inside the COMSOL blog. There is an advisable article: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/overview-integration-methods-space-time/ Best regards Michael

Posted: 9 years ago 8 août 2015, 07:03 UTC−4
Hi Michael,
My target is get variation of wall temperature of a borehole heat exchanger with a fixed load.
Thanks for the help. The article was useful, I was looking for something like this. But the flux became unstable after some time and increased exponentially.
I used the Tb as the additional degree of freedom and the additional equation was intop1(ht.ntflux)-Qtot.
I got a constant flux when I used intop1(T_lm)-Qtot. but I do not know how this equations works and I might have problems debugging it.
Thanks again
Anjan
Hi Michael, My target is get variation of wall temperature of a borehole heat exchanger with a fixed load. Thanks for the help. The article was useful, I was looking for something like this. But the flux became unstable after some time and increased exponentially. I used the Tb as the additional degree of freedom and the additional equation was intop1(ht.ntflux)-Qtot. I got a constant flux when I used intop1(T_lm)-Qtot. but I do not know how this equations works and I might have problems debugging it. Thanks again Anjan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.