Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why can I not get the convergence result from COMSOL?!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Can any body help me or guide me to solve the coulped, nonlinear "1-D+2-D"model?

Problem replay:

Error:
Failed to find a solution:
No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor.
Returned solution has not converged.

My Model description:
1. I have 1D for channel, two 2-D models for backing layer and membrane
2. The dependent variables in 1D will be extruded to one of the boundary of 2-D backing layer. The sources terms of 1-D equation comes from the boundary flux of 2-D backing layer
3. the similar conditions happen between 2-D backing layer model and 2-D membrane model

My Solver setting:
1. stationary solver, UMPACK
2. relative tolerance: 1e-6. using damping Newton method
3. max. iteration number: 300
4. Initial values is set as the "current solution" in the "solver management dialog"

My question:
1. Can COMSOL solve such strong-coulped equations by means of extrusion variables?
2. How to get the validated initial guess value to make the computation to be convergence?
3. Now I use the COMSOL v3.5, How can I rebuild my model in COMSOL 4.0?

Thank you for your attention!

0 Replies Last Post 6 août 2010, 04:45 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Guangji Ji

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.