Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Definition of von Mises stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a question about von Mises stress used in the structural mechanics. According to its definition, von Mises stress can be computed using the formula, in 2D application :
σvm = sqrt ( ( σxx)^2 + (σyy)^2 - σxx*σyy +3(τxy)^2 ),
where σi,j is either normal stress or shear stress.

But when I compare von Mise stress computed from the formula above and von Mises stress generated by default by COMSOL, the value is different. I'm quite surprised as well as confused. So I'm wondering whether COMSOL uses a different formula.

Thx for your advices

3 Replies Last Post 11 juin 2015, 10:56 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 11 juin 2015, 08:10 UTC−4
Your formula only holds if σzz=τxz=τyz=0 , i.e. in a plane stress case. You may want to check whether you set up your model as plane stress. The default in COMSOL is plane strain.
Best,
Jeff
Your formula only holds if σzz=τxz=τyz=0 , i.e. in a plane stress case. You may want to check whether you set up your model as plane stress. The default in COMSOL is plane strain. Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 11 juin 2015, 10:14 UTC−4

Your formula only holds if σzz=τxz=τyz=0 , i.e. in a plane stress case. You may want to check whether you set up your model as plane stress. The default in COMSOL is plane strain.
Best,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My model is 2D, so I think this formula can apply. But I don't really get it when you say I should set up the model as plane stress. Where can I change this setting. Could you explain some more? Thank you

Yuankang
[QUOTE] Your formula only holds if σzz=τxz=τyz=0 , i.e. in a plane stress case. You may want to check whether you set up your model as plane stress. The default in COMSOL is plane strain. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Hi Jeff, My model is 2D, so I think this formula can apply. But I don't really get it when you say I should set up the model as plane stress. Where can I change this setting. Could you explain some more? Thank you Yuankang

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 11 juin 2015, 10:56 UTC−4
I did not mean to imply that you should set up your model as plane stress. Rather, I pointed out that the formula you mention only applies in the plane stress case. If you set up your model as plane strain, the formula does not apply.

Whether you should set up the model as plane stress or plane strain depends on the situation you are trying to model; I leave that decision to you. Just don't expect your formula to apply if you set up the model as plane strain.
I did not mean to imply that you should set up your model as plane stress. Rather, I pointed out that the formula you mention only applies in the plane stress case. If you set up your model as plane strain, the formula does not apply. Whether you should set up the model as plane stress or plane strain depends on the situation you are trying to model; I leave that decision to you. Just don't expect your formula to apply if you set up the model as plane strain.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.