Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Varying concentration on surface of a sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm working in COMSOL 4.3a with the Transport of Diluted Species module. I have created a simple sphere and would like to model outward flux of a certain species given an external boundary condition (initial surface concentration). As a test to understand how COMSOL does its calculations, I want to make one half of the sphere have a different initial surface concentration than the other half.

Since the Transport of Diluted Species module cannot be set to evaluate on the boundary only, I am storing the concentration (c) defined in Initial Values in variables that are then used in equations also defined in the same Variables group. One variable simply multiplies c by 10 as a test to see if there is any difference in the final concentration. For both variable groups, Geometric Entity Level is set to the respective boundaries (i.e. each half of the sphere).

When I run the time-dependent study, the surface concentration ends up being uniform all the way around even though I tried to make one half of the sphere have a different initial surface concentration. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,
Sam

2 Replies Last Post 10 juin 2015, 10:55 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 10 juin 2015, 05:07 UTC−4
I made some progress by adding two Concentration boundary conditions under the Transport of Diluted Species module that I can define each half of the sphere with. This might be what I was looking for.
I made some progress by adding two Concentration boundary conditions under the Transport of Diluted Species module that I can define each half of the sphere with. This might be what I was looking for.

Posted: 9 years ago 10 juin 2015, 10:55 UTC−4
Well that wasn't it. Those boundary conditions just set the concentration on the surface to a specific value.
Well that wasn't it. Those boundary conditions just set the concentration on the surface to a specific value.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.