Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Generating Animation with Data display

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am running some time dependent heat transfer simulation and some parametric thermal stress simulation. When I am generating animation from the 3D plots it does not include any Time or Parameter information on the legend as it used to do in V 3.5a. I checked all options I could locate on V 4.0a but to no avail. Also I would like to include other data from the simulation like Temperature at a chosen point on the animation. Is there any way to do that?

Another thing that I noticed is that the color range scales itself automatically in the animation. I can manually fix the range in 3D plot but when generating animation it starts automatic scaling. ( example: I fixed temperature range to be from 270 to 330, but in the animation in one time frame it is 274 to 280 , the next its 300 to 314, So i consecutive frames suppose color orange is representing 276 and 306 respectively, and since there is no time stamp information on the animation, it is very hard to follow the temperature change).

Has anybody run into similar problems? How did you solve it?

2 Replies Last Post 13 sept. 2010, 14:28 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Salwa Mostafa

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 sept. 2010, 13:56 UTC−4
I have the same problem with the scale not remaining constant in v4.0 as it did in 3.5.
I have the same problem with the scale not remaining constant in v4.0 as it did in 3.5.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 sept. 2010, 14:28 UTC−4
Chris,

I found out that you have to generate the 3-D plot by right click on result> 3D plot every time you simulate. If you have saved a .mph file with using "save as" with a new name that already had a 3D plot in the results section, and changed a few things in the new file and simulated again, then the 3-D plot wont know the time information (in case time dependant solver) and will not show it in 3D-plot. So in such case, you have to create a new 3-D plot.

As for scaling. You can fix the data and color range in the plot settings. The variable range I was seeing was actually the maximum and minimum value of the data in that frame. Suppose you fixed the color range from 270 to 350. The color distribution throughout the frames will stay the same, but the maximum and minimum value will show on top and bottom of the color axis for the given frame. Example: In one frame my max/min value was 273/274. So although the range showed 273 at the bottom near blue color and 274 at the top close to red color, the temperature distribtion in the structure was all blue (around 273-4).

Another thing you may notice if you fix the maximum value of the manual color range below maximum data value you get from the simulation, COMSOL will show that area as white/ blank. So that was something to be careful about.

Hope this helps.

Chris, I found out that you have to generate the 3-D plot by right click on result> 3D plot every time you simulate. If you have saved a .mph file with using "save as" with a new name that already had a 3D plot in the results section, and changed a few things in the new file and simulated again, then the 3-D plot wont know the time information (in case time dependant solver) and will not show it in 3D-plot. So in such case, you have to create a new 3-D plot. As for scaling. You can fix the data and color range in the plot settings. The variable range I was seeing was actually the maximum and minimum value of the data in that frame. Suppose you fixed the color range from 270 to 350. The color distribution throughout the frames will stay the same, but the maximum and minimum value will show on top and bottom of the color axis for the given frame. Example: In one frame my max/min value was 273/274. So although the range showed 273 at the bottom near blue color and 274 at the top close to red color, the temperature distribtion in the structure was all blue (around 273-4). Another thing you may notice if you fix the maximum value of the manual color range below maximum data value you get from the simulation, COMSOL will show that area as white/ blank. So that was something to be careful about. Hope this helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.