Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assembly / Contact Pairs / Transfering Load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This seems to be the most basic form of analysis - a nylon part with steel rods inside and need to determine approx. how much bending will occur when a face load is applied.

I will fully admit to being a neophite in terms of FEA analysis - and I cannot get this simple problem to work. When loading the outer nylon surface, the inner rods are not coupled with the forces. Making a contact pair seem to not solve the problem - in fact it crashes and will not solve.

Any suggestions / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maine_Guy

1 Reply Last Post 21 juil. 2010, 05:16 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 juil. 2010, 05:16 UTC−4
Hi

You have a few possible approaches (probably only one will easily converge)

1) simplest: you say that your nylon plate is "welded" to the steel wires, you use "Form union" for the geometry closure, no pairs, but normal continuity on the bondary conditions. You fix the wire ends (by the way why do you fix the nylon ends and not the wire ends, one nylon plate end should be fixed) and load the plate surface. Then solve (you could also add gravity as a "body load" with F[N/m^3]=g_const*solid.rho)

2) you say the the nylon plate slide freely along the wires, then you would need either contact pairs (with probably convergence issues) or you could imagine some identity pairs and free the tangental couplings via week constrintsa or specific boundary equations

I would have stared with 1) ,even if the case 2) is more fun, but more complex to validate and then to solve

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You have a few possible approaches (probably only one will easily converge) 1) simplest: you say that your nylon plate is "welded" to the steel wires, you use "Form union" for the geometry closure, no pairs, but normal continuity on the bondary conditions. You fix the wire ends (by the way why do you fix the nylon ends and not the wire ends, one nylon plate end should be fixed) and load the plate surface. Then solve (you could also add gravity as a "body load" with F[N/m^3]=g_const*solid.rho) 2) you say the the nylon plate slide freely along the wires, then you would need either contact pairs (with probably convergence issues) or you could imagine some identity pairs and free the tangental couplings via week constrintsa or specific boundary equations I would have stared with 1) ,even if the case 2) is more fun, but more complex to validate and then to solve -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.