Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cantilever beam eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am simulating eigenfrequency of a cantilever beam with 28mm length, 2mm width and 0.8 mm thick.
When I increase the width of the beam to 20mm and 200 mm the eigenfrequency increases in each case, which should not.
By using hand calculation and also 2D simulation, by increasing the width, the eigenfrequency should not increase!!
I have also tried with ANSYS and it is the same in 3D simulation by increasing the width of beam the eigenfreq. increases!!

Would you please tell me the reason.

Thank you,

Best,

2 Replies Last Post 9 nov. 2015, 13:18 UTC−5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 15 mai 2015, 02:08 UTC−4
Hi,

Beam theory assumes plane stress conditions in the out-of-plane direction. This will be a good approximation only if the piece is thin.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Beam theory assumes plane stress conditions in the out-of-plane direction. This will be a good approximation only if the piece is thin. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 9 nov. 2015, 13:18 UTC−5
Hi
i am new to comsol.I am trying to match the analytical results for eigenfrequency of a simple cantilever beam and its simulation results in comsol.I tried to implement many papers but i am failed to match what i am thinking there is some boundary condition is missing .just one boundary condition is used that is fixed constraint to fix a side .
Kindly help me out i will be very thankful to you .

Thanks in advance .

Khawar
Hi i am new to comsol.I am trying to match the analytical results for eigenfrequency of a simple cantilever beam and its simulation results in comsol.I tried to implement many papers but i am failed to match what i am thinking there is some boundary condition is missing .just one boundary condition is used that is fixed constraint to fix a side . Kindly help me out i will be very thankful to you . Thanks in advance . Khawar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.