Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

piezoelectric MEMS contact modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Thanks a lot everybody

My goal is to model a PZT thin film with an interdigitated structure upon it. Thus I coupled the "MEMS module -> Piezo Solid" application mode together with the "MEMS module -> Conductive Media DC"; with the first in the "unsymmetric, electrostatic" electrical formulation mode (to make it compatible with the conductive media DC application mode, as stated in the manual).

Piezo solid application mode is active only for the piezoelectric material and Conductive media DC only for the electrodes. In order to model the electric contact I placed at this interface the "electric potential" boundary setting, and I used the dependent variable "V" as value.

Now there's no voltage gradient inside, but there's never voltage difference between the electrodes, indipendently of
a) deformation of the structure
b) both electrodes floating or one grounded.

Anybody has an idea about which could be my mistake? It seems weird to me since every piezoelectric MEMS needs at least one electrode. Which is the correct way to model this?

PS: attached you can find my model

Thanks a lot everybody...

0 Replies Last Post 30 juin 2010, 11:14 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andrea Mazzalai

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.