Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Forced Turbulent Convection - Validation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm relatively new to Comsol, so I may have made some rookie mistakes, but I am trying to validate a model's result.

I'm trying to model a steady-state problem which finds a temperature profile between competing convection and conduction in axi-symmetric 3D. A compressible, non-isothermal fluid passes through a restriction and then cools a pipe which is in contact with a hot surface at the outlet. What's been causing me problems is the heat transfer between the fluid and the pipe.

Bulk fluid velocities range from 2-30 m/s, so I applied the k-epsilon turbulence model. This looks quite nice and is nicely in the range empirical results. Using the convection/conduction models under heat transfer, the conduction also works quite well, and I've validated this with hand calculations in simplified models. Radiation effects have been added as manual terms in the boundary equations.

What I'm still having trouble with is the forced convection. The simulation converges, but typically shows hardly any heat transfer into the gas, no matter the velocity. I'm using the default thermal wall function as suggested in the model files. I've tried to follow the example "Forced Convection Cooling of a Hot Flat Plate."

At first I thought it was an entrance effect, but when I modeled flow down a long pipe (L/D = 60), the heat transfer was 1-2 orders of magnitude less than predicted by empirical equations such as Dittus-Boelter.

Are there any tips or tricks to setting this up correctly? Is it wrong to couple the k-episilon model with the heat transfer model? If someone's interested in taking a look I can send what I've done for the pipe model.

Version: 3.4.0

Thanks all.

0 Replies Last Post 28 juin 2010, 17:09 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello BA Hadron

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.