Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diamagnetic Levitation, AC/DC mfnc, gravity, levitation force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Gurus,
I am working on a project to simulate Diamagnetc Levitation in COMSOL. version i have currently is 4.2a, there might be a potential that i will be upgrading to 4.3. I am running into some issues and hope to see if anyone here would be generous to offer some pointers.
I have my model set up in what is referred to as ONP configuration, 4 square (cube) magnets, 1 pyrolytic graphite. i was able to use AC/DC's MFNC module to set up the magnets, plot magnetic flux density. calculated the force on the pyrolytic graphite, but it's way above what i have read in some other reports done in ANSYS. i am getting a force of around 30-40mN depending on the enclosure/boundary, cube boundary would give lower number, sphere boundary give higher number.
So i thought gravity may help my model out. i have done manual calculation: density of pyrolytic graphite is around 2200 kg/m^3. my model have Pyrolytic Graphite dimensions of 15mmx15mmx3mm. so gravitational force come out to be close to 5mN. I have no idea how i could add this gravitational force in to my model. i have read some other posts, but none of them is detailed enough. would some one please give a more detailed description as to how i could implement gravitational force in my model (COMSOL version 4.2a)?
also, even after i got a gravitational force in my model, my next step would be to show that Levitation force of the model minus(-) gravitational force of the pyrolytic graphite > 0. how would i implement this force to make the Pyrolytic Graphite levitate within the model?

thanks for anyone who offer any guidance,

Jason

0 Replies Last Post 26 mars 2015, 22:32 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jason Li

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.