Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

finding coordinates of max/min values inside domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to find the coordinates of the max/min stress values in a specific domain. I can find the values of the actual max/min but I'm having a hard time finding the actual coordinates. I can use 3d plot group to find the max/min coordinates of the structure as a whole but can't seem to find the coordinates of the max/min stress values for a particular domain. How do I accomplish this?

3 Replies Last Post 23 mars 2015, 03:32 UTC−4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 18 mars 2015, 03:47 UTC−4
I can use 3d plot group to find the max/min coordinates of the structure as a whole but can't seem to find the coordinates of the max/min stress values for a particular domain. How do I accomplish this?

Each max/min plot is associated with a table that contains two rows that contain (x, y, z, value) for the points where the maximum and minimum are attained. It is shown in the Tables view (next to the Messages, Progress, and Log views) when the max/min plot is selected in the Model Builder.

[QUOTE]I can use 3d plot group to find the max/min coordinates of the structure as a whole but can't seem to find the coordinates of the max/min stress values for a particular domain. How do I accomplish this? [/QUOTE] Each max/min plot is associated with a table that contains two rows that contain (x, y, z, value) for the points where the maximum and minimum are attained. It is shown in the Tables view (next to the Messages, Progress, and Log views) when the max/min plot is selected in the Model Builder.

Posted: 9 years ago 21 mars 2015, 22:44 UTC−4
Thanks for the reply Gunnar.

Can you do it for a specific domain? As far as I can tell it will only give you the coordinate of the max/min over the entire geometry.
Thanks for the reply Gunnar. Can you do it for a specific domain? As far as I can tell it will only give you the coordinate of the max/min over the entire geometry.

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 23 mars 2015, 03:32 UTC−4
As far as I can tell it will only give you the coordinate of the max/min over the entire geometry.

You can do it as follows:

- Create a copy of the solution data set that you want to find the max/min for.

- Add a selection to the copied solution data set and select the domains that you are interested in.

- Select the copied solution data set in the max/min plot.

[QUOTE]As far as I can tell it will only give you the coordinate of the max/min over the entire geometry.[/QUOTE] You can do it as follows: - Create a copy of the solution data set that you want to find the max/min for. - Add a selection to the copied solution data set and select the domains that you are interested in. - Select the copied solution data set in the max/min plot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.