Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol 4.0 how to have unequal scaling on different axes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In comsol 3.5a, i could selected under
options->axes/grid settings the option that the axes not be equal.

I have problems where dimension along one of the axis are microns while along the other axes they are cm.
in 3.5a after unticking axes equal, I could use the zoom extents tool to display my results so that the short dimension could be expanded to fill the screen.

I am struggling with 4.0 now. In geometry (model builder) such a possibility exists.
I have not been able to find this possibility once I have results.
When I extrude a 2D object 5 microns in the z direction to get a 3D object from a 2D drawing made in a working plane, I do not know how to view that.
It is also a necessity to be able to define correctly some of my boundaries.

It is also necessary to be able to view the results!!!

I do not understand where this possibility is hidden. I am not sure it even exists.
if not, please include this ASAP.

Can someone help??
Thanks

9 Replies Last Post 11 janv. 2015, 12:16 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 juin 2010, 08:00 UTC−4
Hi

I'm afraid this "feature is not yet in V4.0 but on the list for things to kome soon, but for selecteng you have the selection list to the left

Hope thishelps a little, but I agree, uneven scales is essential in MEMS, and I'm sure it will come

Ivar
Hi I'm afraid this "feature is not yet in V4.0 but on the list for things to kome soon, but for selecteng you have the selection list to the left Hope thishelps a little, but I agree, uneven scales is essential in MEMS, and I'm sure it will come Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 juin 2010, 05:18 UTC−4
Thanks. looks like a pitiful oversight. I hope indeed that this possible very soon
Thanks. looks like a pitiful oversight. I hope indeed that this possible very soon

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 juil. 2010, 08:39 UTC−4
Hi

In fact in V4.0a the "unequal scale" is THERE (also for 3D!), just as you have the thin layer easily added to simple 2D or 3D shapes sucha as blocks or rectangles.

Uncheck the "View - AXIS - Preserve Aspect ratio check box"

But you should do a "REFRESH or APPLY" (the ring on the upper border of the window) BEFORE you hit the zoom to extend, otherwise the check box is reset !

I needed help from support to find it, so it could have been here for 4.0 too, I just missed it

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi In fact in V4.0a the "unequal scale" is THERE (also for 3D!), just as you have the thin layer easily added to simple 2D or 3D shapes sucha as blocks or rectangles. Uncheck the "View - AXIS - Preserve Aspect ratio check box" But you should do a "REFRESH or APPLY" (the ring on the upper border of the window) BEFORE you hit the zoom to extend, otherwise the check box is reset ! I needed help from support to find it, so it could have been here for 4.0 too, I just missed it Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 févr. 2012, 15:06 UTC−5
I'm finding it difficult to get uneven axis scaling using version 4.2a.. Please can you help with directions on how to make this work?
I'm finding it difficult to get uneven axis scaling using version 4.2a.. Please can you help with directions on how to make this work?

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 mai 2013, 01:40 UTC−4

To clarify, go to Model > Definitions > View 1 > Camera, and uncheck the "Preserve aspect ratio" checkbox. It seems that the axes are then scaled such that the model looks like a cube, even when its aspect may be 100:1:1.
[QUOTE] I'm finding it difficult to get uneven axis scaling using version 4.2a.. Please can you help with directions on how to make this work? [/QUOTE] To clarify, go to Model > Definitions > View 1 > Camera, and uncheck the "Preserve aspect ratio" checkbox. It seems that the axes are then scaled such that the model looks like a cube, even when its aspect may be 100:1:1.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 mai 2013, 14:51 UTC−4
Thanks Evgeni!
Thanks Evgeni!

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mai 2013, 08:12 UTC−4

To clarify, go to Model > Definitions > View 1 > Camera, and uncheck the "Preserve aspect ratio" checkbox. It seems that the axes are then scaled such that the model looks like a cube, even when its aspect may be 100:1:1.

I have a similar problem with a very long but thin geometry. I can do as mentioned, but I don't want my results as a cube since a lot of information is found at the edges. Is it possible to rescale but keep the rectangular shape? I use COMSOL 4.3.

Thanks in advance!

Theresia
[QUOTE] [QUOTE] I'm finding it difficult to get uneven axis scaling using version 4.2a.. Please can you help with directions on how to make this work? [/QUOTE] To clarify, go to Model > Definitions > View 1 > Camera, and uncheck the "Preserve aspect ratio" checkbox. It seems that the axes are then scaled such that the model looks like a cube, even when its aspect may be 100:1:1. [/QUOTE] I have a similar problem with a very long but thin geometry. I can do as mentioned, but I don't want my results as a cube since a lot of information is found at the edges. Is it possible to rescale but keep the rectangular shape? I use COMSOL 4.3. Thanks in advance! Theresia

Posted: 10 years ago 9 janv. 2015, 18:12 UTC−5
In COMSOL 5, unequal axis scaling can be found under View->Camera by selecting View Scale: Manual. This will make x, y, and z scale settings boxes appear.
In COMSOL 5, unequal axis scaling can be found under View->Camera by selecting View Scale: Manual. This will make x, y, and z scale settings boxes appear.

Posted: 10 years ago 11 janv. 2015, 12:16 UTC−5
This will be very helpful. I've struggled with related issues in the past. This feature has just persuaded me to click on the upgrade to 5.0
This will be very helpful. I've struggled with related issues in the past. This feature has just persuaded me to click on the upgrade to 5.0

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.