Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define the cross-section when using a beam element over a closed circular curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I'm quite new to Comsol and these forums, so my apologies if this is a common beginner question (i tried to search this forum and the tutorials but could not find the answer to my questions).

Currently I'm trying to model a T-profiled circle, and look how it deforms under its own weight (see attachment beam_elements_over_circle), I want to do this using beam elements. (a representation of the system using solid mechanics can be seen in the solid mechanics attachment)

With this i got a few questions.
- When creating a cross-section for a beam element you can define an orientation, does it always keep that same orientation or can it somehow follow the curvature of a beam in case the beam is not straight (as in my case the beam will make a 360 degree turn, I could of course cut my circle into a lot of elements and set different orientations for every piece but that seems quite inefficient).
- When applying a cross-section on a closed profile (like a circle) will it apply the cross-section orientation based on the top part of the circle or the bottom part.
- When using the default/common cross-sections for beam elements provided in comsol, is there a way to visualize those to see if applied/oriented them correctly.

Thank you for your help :)

0 Replies Last Post 23 févr. 2015, 08:57 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jesse van Dongen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.