Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FLuid Flow and ALE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

it seems I still do not have the slightest idea on implementing moving meshes for my problem.

I studied the discussions forum and think, there are many open questions on how to work with fluid flow and moving meshes. I understand that fsi can be used to compute solids deformation due to fluid flow.

From my point of view my problem is much simpler. Imagine a rectangular domain that contains a hole of circular shape. The domain has an inlet and outlet which are defined straightforward. Now the hole within the domain begins to grow in the direction of the normal of the boundary with a constant velocity. From my understanding that causes the hole boundaries to be moving walls and I apply these boundary condtions in the Fluid Flow Physics Node. For the velocity of the boundary I aplly either 0, or the mesh speed (xTIME, yTIME) or the constant velocity I enter in the ALE Node. None of them seem to work, there is no influence. Also if I plot the flow field the velocity magnitude on the hole boundary is 0, which is impossible since I defined it to be a constant known velocity.

Is there any explanation for this? I really doubt that my understanding of applying ALE to this problem can be that wrong. I am quite sure I just don't understand the concept of seting up COMSOL in the right way. Also the Manual/User Guide is not very helpful, since it just states obvious facts, but does not give me any idea regarding the problem I encounter.

If any of you have the same problems or solutions to them, please tell me! I appreciate any insights you can give me!

André

0 Replies Last Post 10 févr. 2015, 17:30 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andre Rieger

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.