Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

object with internal heat generation + cooling by water

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!
I am new to comsol and I am trying to create a model with an orthogonal piece of metal on top of which I input some water stripes to flow and cool it. The metal is a heat source. Also, I want to take into account, for the part of the metal surface that it is not covered by water, the effect of wind convection. Can I do all that with the conjugate heat transfer module?
Also, in order to simulate the wind I have two options:
1) Built a big geometry surrounding my model and define the wind conditions at one surface as inlet, or
2) Use the "convective cooling" option from the conjugate heat transfer menu. In this case I use in the convective cooling menu the "external forced convection" where I can input the air velocity, pressure and temperature. Also it asks to input the parameter "plate length". What is it?
My question is, since the 2nd option is a lot easier, why would someone use the first option? Which are the advantages?
Thank you

0 Replies Last Post 10 févr. 2015, 13:53 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dimitris Bronowski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.