Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regarding Creating model for Fluxgate Magnetometer

Mohammed Thameemul Ansari

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am designing flux gate magnetometer which consist of primary and secondary coil. According to the principle i have to excite primary coil then i will produce the magnetic field which would be pickup in the secondary coil. So here should i need to use electric current physics to excite the coil or else directly magnetic field physics that have excitation where i can key in my excitation current value.

5 Replies Last Post 8 avr. 2015, 11:45 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohammed Thameemul Ansari

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 24 mars 2015, 10:24 UTC−4
Hi Mohammed,

for this purpose you should use magnetic fields with time-dependent analysis.
As far as I remember from my studies a fluxgate magnetometer uses the second harmonic
generation. A magnetically nonlinear material is driven into saturation and the actual
measurement signal, proportional to the exterior field, is sensed in a higher harmonic of the base frequency.
This cannot be done with a linear (frequency dependent) or linearized (small-signal analysis)
study that are also provoded by COMSOL. You would need to simulate the device time-dependent just
like our library model of the e-core transformer with a nonlinear core.

ch.comsol.com/model/e-core-transformer-using-multi-turn-coil-domains-14123

With best regards

Sven Friedel
Hi Mohammed, for this purpose you should use magnetic fields with time-dependent analysis. As far as I remember from my studies a fluxgate magnetometer uses the second harmonic generation. A magnetically nonlinear material is driven into saturation and the actual measurement signal, proportional to the exterior field, is sensed in a higher harmonic of the base frequency. This cannot be done with a linear (frequency dependent) or linearized (small-signal analysis) study that are also provoded by COMSOL. You would need to simulate the device time-dependent just like our library model of the e-core transformer with a nonlinear core. https://ch.comsol.com/model/e-core-transformer-using-multi-turn-coil-domains-14123 With best regards Sven Friedel

Posted: 9 years ago 24 mars 2015, 22:47 UTC−4
Hello Sven Friedel

Thank you very much for your reply. You are right i was using the same library model to compute my results but my problem is in sensitivity. How should i measure the sensitivity of the sensor? According to the theory i have to plot the hysteresis loop to justify my answer. Do you know any other method to calculate the sensitivity of the sensor? Would you please suggest me some way to find this out? Thanks in advance.
Hello Sven Friedel Thank you very much for your reply. You are right i was using the same library model to compute my results but my problem is in sensitivity. How should i measure the sensitivity of the sensor? According to the theory i have to plot the hysteresis loop to justify my answer. Do you know any other method to calculate the sensitivity of the sensor? Would you please suggest me some way to find this out? Thanks in advance.

Posted: 9 years ago 25 mars 2015, 10:54 UTC−4
Well, I would define the sensitivity probably as \delta V / \delta B. You might want to derive a curve V(B) measuring the amplitude of the fully developed time dependent solution of the voltage V and the external flux density B. After that, you could differentiate this curve for instance with a spreadsheet program.

Sven
Well, I would define the sensitivity probably as \delta V / \delta B. You might want to derive a curve V(B) measuring the amplitude of the fully developed time dependent solution of the voltage V and the external flux density B. After that, you could differentiate this curve for instance with a spreadsheet program. Sven

Posted: 9 years ago 8 avr. 2015, 01:59 UTC−4
Hello sir

According to my model i have to wound a excitation coil in both sides of the toroidal core which should be connected together. Would you please suggest me how to connect this two coil? Another issue is to coupling with circuit. Therefore, i have to couple the sense/secondary coil with the band pass filter circuit. So my doubt here is how to define the nodes? Here, i have attached the circuit photo.
Hello sir According to my model i have to wound a excitation coil in both sides of the toroidal core which should be connected together. Would you please suggest me how to connect this two coil? Another issue is to coupling with circuit. Therefore, i have to couple the sense/secondary coil with the band pass filter circuit. So my doubt here is how to define the nodes? Here, i have attached the circuit photo.

Posted: 9 years ago 8 avr. 2015, 11:45 UTC−4
Please send your COMSOL model - if you do not want to share it in the forum feel free to contact us diorectly through support@comsol.com.

Best regards,
Sven Friedel
Please send your COMSOL model - if you do not want to share it in the forum feel free to contact us diorectly through support@comsol.com. Best regards, Sven Friedel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.