Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a Lumped Capacitor in the AC/DC Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

Is it possible to include a lumped capacitor between two conductors when I apply the Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) physics?

Regards,
Tony

3 Replies Last Post 7 nov. 2014, 14:24 UTC−5
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 5 nov. 2014, 08:52 UTC−5
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to include the lumped capacitor in MEF physics by coupling it with "Electrical Circuit" physics interface.
See the following example for such a coupling between the two.
www.comsol.com/model/inductor-in-an-amplifier-circuit-990

NOTE: this example is for Magnetic Fields physics, but it can be done for the MEF physics as well.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
-----------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
Hi, Yes, it is possible to include the lumped capacitor in MEF physics by coupling it with "Electrical Circuit" physics interface. See the following example for such a coupling between the two. http://www.comsol.com/model/inductor-in-an-amplifier-circuit-990 NOTE: this example is for Magnetic Fields physics, but it can be done for the MEF physics as well. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel ----------------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Posted: 10 years ago 5 nov. 2014, 12:34 UTC−5
Hi Nirmal,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I think the model you've attached is not actually what I need. In the example, COMSOL passes the FEM results to the SPICE model. However, in my case, what I deal with is the electric and magnetic field distribution of an actual switch circuit, which consists of switches (i.e., IGBTs) and capacitors, wires in the corresponding circuit model are now bus bars. In this case, I need to include a capacitor between two bus bars to consider the phase delay or whatever it acts.

A question comes to me now. Is COMSOL capable to handle the coupling between a power electronics circuit and an AC/DC FEM model? If so, any examples available?

Regards,
Tony
Hi Nirmal, Thanks for the reply. Well, I think the model you've attached is not actually what I need. In the example, COMSOL passes the FEM results to the SPICE model. However, in my case, what I deal with is the electric and magnetic field distribution of an actual switch circuit, which consists of switches (i.e., IGBTs) and capacitors, wires in the corresponding circuit model are now bus bars. In this case, I need to include a capacitor between two bus bars to consider the phase delay or whatever it acts. A question comes to me now. Is COMSOL capable to handle the coupling between a power electronics circuit and an AC/DC FEM model? If so, any examples available? Regards, Tony

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 7 nov. 2014, 14:24 UTC−5
Hi,

Yes, the Lumped Elements can be added in the Finite Element Model within the Magnetic Fields physics. The Lumped Element could be Inductor, Capacitor or User Defined.
See the example model using the similar feature in RF Module.
www.comsol.com/model/a-low-pass-filter-using-lumped-elements-15675

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
-----------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
Hi, Yes, the Lumped Elements can be added in the Finite Element Model within the Magnetic Fields physics. The Lumped Element could be Inductor, Capacitor or User Defined. See the example model using the similar feature in RF Module. http://www.comsol.com/model/a-low-pass-filter-using-lumped-elements-15675 Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel ----------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.