Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Add air box to a complex geometry via LiveLink for SolidWorks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

According to LiveLink for SolidWorks Users Guide, the geometry sequence can only contain the LiveLink for SolidWorks, however, one needs to add an additional air box for some physics interfaces, i.e., calculation of the magnetic fields in a computer case. Is it possible to add an air box while keeping the original SolidWorks model? Thanks in advance?

Regards,
Tony

9 Replies Last Post 12 nov. 2015, 15:10 UTC−5

Posted: 10 years ago 31 oct. 2014, 19:57 UTC−4
Extrude an airbox (or sphere, even better?) in solidworks around your object. Then use the intersect feature to differentiate your domains.
Extrude an airbox (or sphere, even better?) in solidworks around your object. Then use the intersect feature to differentiate your domains.

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 07:39 UTC−4
Thanks Michael, but the Intersect Feature cannot be used in the Assembly mode. How to do it now? Thanks.
Thanks Michael, but the Intersect Feature cannot be used in the Assembly mode. How to do it now? Thanks.

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 10:24 UTC−4
A solid air volume by using the intersection feature can be generated now, however, I get an error message saying "Intersecting face elements" while meshing. This shouldn't appear. How can I fix it?

Thanks,
Tony
A solid air volume by using the intersection feature can be generated now, however, I get an error message saying "Intersecting face elements" while meshing. This shouldn't appear. How can I fix it? Thanks, Tony

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 10:38 UTC−4
Did you de-select the box that says merge while in the intersect feature?

If you did that, then go find the error message and the associated boundary and manually mesh those within the physics generated mesh.
Did you de-select the box that says merge while in the intersect feature? If you did that, then go find the error message and the associated boundary and manually mesh those within the physics generated mesh.

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 10:44 UTC−4
Btw, its much easier to build all your domains/bodies up inside one solidworks .prt file and just make sure you deselect merge results when you extrude and what not to form new domains/bodies. That way you never have to put together the parts in an assembly. And if you need an assembly, you can save the solid bodies into an assembly. Search around on the solidworks forum and you'll find instruction on what I am speaking of. Good luck.
Btw, its much easier to build all your domains/bodies up inside one solidworks .prt file and just make sure you deselect merge results when you extrude and what not to form new domains/bodies. That way you never have to put together the parts in an assembly. And if you need an assembly, you can save the solid bodies into an assembly. Search around on the solidworks forum and you'll find instruction on what I am speaking of. Good luck.

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 11:57 UTC−4
Thanks Michael,

The reason that I need an assembly is that I get the model from others and it contains plenty of parts. Parameter studies on geometry is required, that's why I need LiveLinks. Yes, I did not select the "Merge results" option while intersecting, but there still is the mesh error in COMSOL. I will check what's the problem. Thank you for your help anyway.

Regards,
Tony
Thanks Michael, The reason that I need an assembly is that I get the model from others and it contains plenty of parts. Parameter studies on geometry is required, that's why I need LiveLinks. Yes, I did not select the "Merge results" option while intersecting, but there still is the mesh error in COMSOL. I will check what's the problem. Thank you for your help anyway. Regards, Tony

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 12:48 UTC−4
Ah, I found the problem: the mesh is not dense enough so that contacted surfaces cannot be reflected while meshing. Thank you, Michael.
Ah, I found the problem: the mesh is not dense enough so that contacted surfaces cannot be reflected while meshing. Thank you, Michael.

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 15:33 UTC−4
Glad I can help. Best of luck to you.
Glad I can help. Best of luck to you.

Posted: 9 years ago 12 nov. 2015, 15:10 UTC−5
Hi

I faced a same problem as I add an air box then it comes an error 'Intersecting face elements',
I meshed the domain by domain, and I make it extremely finer meshing the air box but it still failed.
Could u show me some details about the solution about it?

Thank you

Mathew
Hi I faced a same problem as I add an air box then it comes an error 'Intersecting face elements', I meshed the domain by domain, and I make it extremely finer meshing the air box but it still failed. Could u show me some details about the solution about it? Thank you Mathew

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.