Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

conductive layer between two separated bodies/domains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am a relatively new user and I am setting up a model to analyze heat transfer into a bulk mass.
For example: the mass consists of three cubic blocks in a row. They have 1mm of spacing in between them. A heat flux enters the top surface of the middle block.

What I would like to model is a conductive layer in between the blocks. I have tried using boundary conditions for pairs in many different ways but have not succeeded. Is there a way to do this? And if so, how?

Thank you,

Peter

1 Reply Last Post 4 nov. 2014, 04:29 UTC−5
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 4 nov. 2014, 04:29 UTC−5
Dear Peter,

there are two easy solutions to your question and I attached a model where both are shown.

1. use a feature "highly conductive layer"
this is shown in the 3 blocks in the front. The feature is assigned in the midsurfaces, and you fill in material properties and the thickness of the layer.

2. explicitly model the layer
this is shown in the 5 block at the back. Note that there is a little domain squeezed in between. You just use a different material in these domains. Note that the default meshing typically handles this poorly, so using a swept mesh can help you out a lot then.

Note that in the current setup, you could also leave it out completely, as the layers do not add any isolation at all.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Peter, there are two easy solutions to your question and I attached a model where both are shown. 1. use a feature "highly conductive layer" this is shown in the 3 blocks in the front. The feature is assigned in the midsurfaces, and you fill in material properties and the thickness of the layer. 2. explicitly model the layer this is shown in the 5 block at the back. Note that there is a little domain squeezed in between. You just use a different material in these domains. Note that the default meshing typically handles this poorly, so using a swept mesh can help you out a lot then. Note that in the current setup, you could also leave it out completely, as the layers do not add any isolation at all. Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.