Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh Error STL Geometry Import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi @ All,

I try to insert a Geometry from an STL file in Comsol. Because the geometry is very small with rounding, I have set the "maximum boundary neighbor angle" to 1deg.
Unfortunately, if I want to create a mesh the following error appear:

A problem occurred when building mesh feature 'Free Tetrahedral 1'.
Failed to generate mesh for face.
- Face: 1449
The face has a bad parameter representation.
- Face: 1449
Internal geometry error.
How can I avoid this error?

Thx Thomas

3 Replies Last Post 6 nov. 2014, 03:43 UTC−5
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 28 oct. 2014, 05:43 UTC−4
Dear Thomas,

there is no general fix, but it often helps to use virtual operations to combine the faces that are generated by the stl. Especially if you set the angle to a low value, you end up with a large amount of faces.
It is also very helpful to mesh the object in sections. Which means, first mesh the surfaces, then mesh some of the domains, until all are done.
Mesh settings that allow a large growth factor and small elements can also help in some cases.

I hope this helps you on your way.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Thomas, there is no general fix, but it often helps to use virtual operations to combine the faces that are generated by the stl. Especially if you set the angle to a low value, you end up with a large amount of faces. It is also very helpful to mesh the object in sections. Which means, first mesh the surfaces, then mesh some of the domains, until all are done. Mesh settings that allow a large growth factor and small elements can also help in some cases. I hope this helps you on your way. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 10 years ago 30 oct. 2014, 05:02 UTC−4
Dear Frank,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I am not yet successful with many attempts.
I think the problem lies in the preparation of surfaces, I can open the STL file without any problems in SolidWorks 2010. And the surfaces in SolidWorks and COMSOL looks very different (shown in the screenshots).

Best regards, Thomas
Dear Frank, Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I am not yet successful with many attempts. I think the problem lies in the preparation of surfaces, I can open the STL file without any problems in SolidWorks 2010. And the surfaces in SolidWorks and COMSOL looks very different (shown in the screenshots). Best regards, Thomas

Posted: 10 years ago 6 nov. 2014, 03:43 UTC−5
Hi Thomas,

try to import not only .stl but also .x_t .dxf. You can save the geometry to different data type and import it to comsol.

anther tips, try to unchecked the comsol automatic repair. i think the problem with mesh started as you import the geometry. visualy control it after finalized. sometime to small tolerance cause problem, that comsol 'see to much than it should'.

there are alot more way to get import geometry done properly, above was the easiest thing you can try.

good luck

regards
akmal
Hi Thomas, try to import not only .stl but also .x_t .dxf. You can save the geometry to different data type and import it to comsol. anther tips, try to unchecked the comsol automatic repair. i think the problem with mesh started as you import the geometry. visualy control it after finalized. sometime to small tolerance cause problem, that comsol 'see to much than it should'. there are alot more way to get import geometry done properly, above was the easiest thing you can try. good luck regards akmal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.