Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing thin objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a model with a cylinder and a cradle for the cylinder (~10 cm). There are two very thin (~100 um), flat objects between them that keep them from touching. I am trying to mesh this the right way. I have tried using a mapped mesh around the cylinder and swept mesh through the thin objects to get more meshing points in there, but I cannot get it to come out consistently.

If possible, would someone be able to take a look at the attached model and recommend a proper mesh for this shape? Thanks so much!

6 Replies Last Post 17 juil. 2014, 05:56 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 juil. 2014, 09:34 UTC−4
Features like this should at best not be meshed, but instead be handled with appropriate boundary conditions. In your case you might consider to try 'thin elastic layer' and/or contact BCs. Of course all depends on what your objectives with the model are.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Features like this should at best not be meshed, but instead be handled with appropriate boundary conditions. In your case you might consider to try 'thin elastic layer' and/or contact BCs. Of course all depends on what your objectives with the model are. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 juil. 2014, 22:20 UTC−4
Thanks Edgar, this seems like it is what I need. I will give this a try!
Thanks Edgar, this seems like it is what I need. I will give this a try!

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 juil. 2014, 00:20 UTC−4
I have tried removing the thin squares and using it as a thin elastic layer, but I cannot find a way to set the thickness in the squares. Is this possible? I do not want the cylinder and cradle to touch. Thanks.
I have tried removing the thin squares and using it as a thin elastic layer, but I cannot find a way to set the thickness in the squares. Is this possible? I do not want the cylinder and cradle to touch. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2014, 02:15 UTC−4
I now know that there is no thickness parameter on the thin elastic layer option. I need to specify a thickness, so I cannot use this. I have made the model with a specified thickness (attached to first post). Is there anything else I can do with this meshing? Every mesh that I have tried cannot resolve this aspect ratio. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks very much.

Ultimately, the goal is to perform an integration over these connecting squares to find the energy lost in them (as well as another integral to find the energy lost in the domains). Thanks so much.
I now know that there is no thickness parameter on the thin elastic layer option. I need to specify a thickness, so I cannot use this. I have made the model with a specified thickness (attached to first post). Is there anything else I can do with this meshing? Every mesh that I have tried cannot resolve this aspect ratio. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks very much. Ultimately, the goal is to perform an integration over these connecting squares to find the energy lost in them (as well as another integral to find the energy lost in the domains). Thanks so much.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2014, 04:31 UTC−4
You might consider to define the surface around the patches as a thin elastic layer too, using a very low stiffness

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You might consider to define the surface around the patches as a thin elastic layer too, using a very low stiffness -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 juil. 2014, 05:56 UTC−4
Thanks for another response, Edgar! I'm not sure how this solves the problem, though. If these small features have to be meshed anyway (and I have not found a good way to do it), then what will a thin elastic layer do? If I use this, will I not need as fine of a mesh on the patches? Thanks again!
Thanks for another response, Edgar! I'm not sure how this solves the problem, though. If these small features have to be meshed anyway (and I have not found a good way to do it), then what will a thin elastic layer do? If I use this, will I not need as fine of a mesh on the patches? Thanks again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.