Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

beam buckling analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to analysis a beam buckling under gravity with different boundary conditions.
It can be fixed-free or fixed-fixed but slided in one direction.
Can anyone give some suggestions about buckling?
I studied the truss tower example and it seems that the beam has to been under unit load for buckling analysis.
Is this right?
thanks for anything.

3 Replies Last Post 18 mars 2014, 09:53 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 02:39 UTC−4
Hi

If you use the "linear buckling analysis" study, it is based on a prestressed eigenfrequency analysis, so the output is a "security factor" with respect to the initial stress from the given load.
So if you give a "unit" load you have a security factor w.r.t. this unit load,
if you however define a nominal load, then your security factor is w.r.t. the nominal load value

For more, see Henrik's intersting blog on buckling :

www.comsol.eu/blogs/buckling-structures-suddenly-collapse/

--
Have fun COMSOLing
Ivar
Hi If you use the "linear buckling analysis" study, it is based on a prestressed eigenfrequency analysis, so the output is a "security factor" with respect to the initial stress from the given load. So if you give a "unit" load you have a security factor w.r.t. this unit load, if you however define a nominal load, then your security factor is w.r.t. the nominal load value For more, see Henrik's intersting blog on buckling : http://www.comsol.eu/blogs/buckling-structures-suddenly-collapse/ -- Have fun COMSOLing Ivar

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 03:03 UTC−4
Hi,

Please note that the Linear Buckling study type is not available for the Beam interface. It can currently only be used with the Solid Mechanics, Shell and Truss interfaces.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Please note that the Linear Buckling study type is not available for the Beam interface. It can currently only be used with the Solid Mechanics, Shell and Truss interfaces. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mars 2014, 09:53 UTC−4
Thank you very much for all help.
Yes I did use the solid mechanics model to do my study. I want to analysis the buckling of a drill string which should look like a hollow tube (or shell?). But I start with solid mechanics because it is easier. I have many difficulties with it. First one: can you tell me how to set up two boundary conditions? One end is fixed at the bottom and I used fixed contraint. I think this one is ok. Another end should be fixed at x and y direction and the top face of the beam could not rotate. But in z-axis, it is free to slide. I am not sure if I explain it clearly. I tried to use prescribed displacement but the top face is rotated.
Thanks again.
Thank you very much for all help. Yes I did use the solid mechanics model to do my study. I want to analysis the buckling of a drill string which should look like a hollow tube (or shell?). But I start with solid mechanics because it is easier. I have many difficulties with it. First one: can you tell me how to set up two boundary conditions? One end is fixed at the bottom and I used fixed contraint. I think this one is ok. Another end should be fixed at x and y direction and the top face of the beam could not rotate. But in z-axis, it is free to slide. I am not sure if I explain it clearly. I tried to use prescribed displacement but the top face is rotated. Thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.