Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 4.3b crashes suddenly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I've been using the software without problem for about a week. Recently a model I was running (using solid mechanics physics) was taking too long because I had too fine a mesh. I tried canceling the simulation, but the software froze up. Eventually it closed after being unresponsive.

Now, for some reason, comsol crashes very suddenly and without an error message every time I open it. I cannot go more than a few minutes of starting a new model, or tweaking and old one, before the software abruptly closes. Crashing seems to occur after pressing a button to build/render/save or anything else.

I read on this forum that it might be a hardware issue with my RAM. I performed a full scan with windows memory diagnostics tool and everything came out clean. Does anyone have another ideas? The software is totally crippled right now.

4 Replies Last Post 12 juil. 2016, 09:05 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 févr. 2014, 02:25 UTC−5
Hi

I used to have this problem due to graphics. I was told to change OpenGL to DirectX9. It helped for me, at least.

Lasse
Hi I used to have this problem due to graphics. I was told to change OpenGL to DirectX9. It helped for me, at least. Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 févr. 2014, 09:27 UTC−5
Switched graphics from OpenGL to DirectX9 first thing this morning and so far so good.

Thanks
Switched graphics from OpenGL to DirectX9 first thing this morning and so far so good. Thanks

Posted: 8 years ago 12 juil. 2016, 08:46 UTC−4
I have the same problem with 4.2a. How can I switch the graphics? Thanks in advance

Switched graphics from OpenGL to DirectX9 first thing this morning and so far so good.

Thanks

I have the same problem with 4.2a. How can I switch the graphics? Thanks in advance [QUOTE] Switched graphics from OpenGL to DirectX9 first thing this morning and so far so good. Thanks [/QUOTE]

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 12 juil. 2016, 09:05 UTC−4
Hello Gulsah,
It's under File > Preferences, see www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/933/ .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Gulsah, It's under File > Preferences, see https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/933/ . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.