Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with Heat Source temperature dependence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am trying to simulate pulsed laser heating of silicon wafer. I am using heat transfer module. My problem is 2-dimensional - my wafer is a cylinder and laser is above the center of it placed perpendicular to the surface, so I use cylindrical coordinates. I use Heat Transfer in Solids physics. I have problem with Heat Source. I want it to be temperature dependent. Here is an expression i would like it to be, but I don't know how to obtain it:

Q(r,z,t)=exp(-integral(alpha,z',0,z))

alpha is an absorption coefficient - material property, which I defined by myself. It is temperature dependent but since in every point of my silicon wafer temperature varies, it makes alpha dependent of spatial coordinates r and z.

alpha = alpha(T(r,z))

In other words after every time step I need alpha to be integrated over z coordinate from 0 to z(respectively for each r and each z) and based on that i want to 'upgrade' my Heat Source Q(r,z,t).

I hope i was clear enough and you guys are able to help me
Andrzej Rudkowski

2 Replies Last Post 14 janv. 2014, 04:20 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2014, 09:18 UTC−5
I believe there is someone, who can easily solve my problem. I have to finish my bachelor thesis in a week and I am in a dead end because of that. Please, help me.
I believe there is someone, who can easily solve my problem. I have to finish my bachelor thesis in a week and I am in a dead end because of that. Please, help me.

Bettina Schieche COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 janv. 2014, 04:20 UTC−5
Dear Mr. Rudkowski,

let's call your integral u. Then it is equal to the conditions uz=alpha and u(r,0)=0. So, I suggest to add a Coefficient Form PDE, to be found in the list of Mathematics interfaces. You set all coefficients to 0, except of beta2=1 and f=alpha. This equals the equation uz=alpha. Then you add a Dirichlet boundary condition for the lower boundary for the boundary condition u(r,0)=0. Now you can use u as a source term in your actual physics.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Bettina Schieche
Dear Mr. Rudkowski, let's call your integral u. Then it is equal to the conditions uz=alpha and u(r,0)=0. So, I suggest to add a Coefficient Form PDE, to be found in the list of Mathematics interfaces. You set all coefficients to 0, except of beta2=1 and f=alpha. This equals the equation uz=alpha. Then you add a Dirichlet boundary condition for the lower boundary for the boundary condition u(r,0)=0. Now you can use u as a source term in your actual physics. I hope this helps. Regards Bettina Schieche

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.