Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Re: problem in apply the numerical flux in PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

(This discussion refers to paper in www.comsol.com/paper/3d-simulation-of-action-potential-propagation-in-a-squid-giant-axon-7317)

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think that there is an error in the paper.
For me, it would be better to include
, i.e. let it as it comes by default, and
(this as there's no laplacian term for ).

And I would change F (the source term), to the rest of terms in equations (1) and (2):
, and

If one does what authors say in equations (4) and (5), all those terms would be affected by the divergence operator (acting on ), and that's not possible (as they are scalars, not vectors, and the result, if possible, would be different from what appears in equations (1) and (2)).

Regards,
Jesus.

6 Replies Last Post 18 avr. 2014, 11:25 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jesus Lucio

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov. 2013, 17:07 UTC−5
I'm using the equations as suggested by you for numerical flux. It gives me an error that the unit is not correct. Also what value of I should I take in the expression?

Thanks
I'm using the equations as suggested by you for numerical flux. It gives me an error that the unit is not correct. Also what value of I should I take in the expression? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2013, 06:12 UTC−5
Hi,
I understand from the article that in equation (1) is the same as in eq. (8). Both physics (PDE Mode, for eqs. (1) and (2), and electrostatics, eq. (8)), seem to be solved simultaneously.
Hi, I understand from the article that [math]I[/math] in equation (1) is the same as [math]V[/math] in eq. (8). Both physics (PDE Mode, for eqs. (1) and (2), and electrostatics, eq. (8)), seem to be solved simultaneously.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2013, 06:47 UTC−5
I'm attaching my model here. I'm not being able to simulate it for some unknown reason. Can you take a look at it and let me know what I may be doing wrong. I'm trying to follow the paper exactly but still finding it difficult to simulate the model.

Thanks.
I'm attaching my model here. I'm not being able to simulate it for some unknown reason. Can you take a look at it and let me know what I may be doing wrong. I'm trying to follow the paper exactly but still finding it difficult to simulate the model. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 nov. 2013, 10:16 UTC−5
Hi,
What would be the unit of the source term (F)? I've selected the unit of the dependent variables u1 and u2 as volts (V). Is that fine?
Hi, What would be the unit of the source term (F)? I've selected the unit of the dependent variables u1 and u2 as volts (V). Is that fine?

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 nov. 2013, 10:30 UTC−5
Also, F1 specified by you gives an error that it has an inconsistent unit. Do help regarding that.

Thanks
Also, F1 specified by you gives an error that it has an inconsistent unit. Do help regarding that. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 avr. 2014, 11:25 UTC−4
hi
i have same problem with simulation of this paper.
i don't know where the Γ would be applied:
Γ = Δu1 +(α − u1 )(u1 −1 )u1 +( −u2 )+I
Γ = ε(βu1 − γu2 − δ)
also my model has this errors in final :
Error:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Undefined_value_found_Linsolv
NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_SOR
Last time step is not converged.

please help me.
hi i have same problem with simulation of this paper. i don't know where the Γ would be applied: Γ = Δu1 +(α − u1 )(u1 −1 )u1 +( −u2 )+I Γ = ε(βu1 − γu2 − δ) also my model has this errors in final : Error: Failed to find consistent initial values. Undefined_value_found_Linsolv NaN_or_Inf_found_when_solving_linear_system_using_SOR Last time step is not converged. please help me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.