Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating the Electric Field by applying a potential

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everybody,

I want to simulate the following problem: I have a geometry (for simplicity assume it is e.g. a box) which is hollow (there is a vacuum inside), and the boundaries consist of some combination of slabs of materials with different thicknesses and widths (copper - stainless steel - copper - stainless steel - copper - etc). I want to apply an electric potential (e.g. 20 kV) at the lower left corner, and I want to have ground potential at the upper right corner. My questions are now:

1) Do I have to use the electric current-module? Because I have conductors I assume that some currents are flowing through the copper and stainless steel...
2) How can I visualize the Electric Field inside the vacuum?

What I did so far was (using the electric current-module) applying a terminal to the lower left corner and defining a potential (20kV), and defining ground on the upper right corner. For the vacuum I used Helium gas and set the electric conductivity to 10^-40. But my problem is that the electric potential behaves as if the helium gas was a conductive material, and thus the electric potential decreases linearly along the helium volume, independent of the conducting boundaries...

I appreciate any comments - thanks a lot! :)
Best regards,
Andreas

3 Replies Last Post 19 sept. 2013, 09:57 UTC−4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2013, 03:51 UTC−4
Hallo Andreas,

sie möchten nach aller wahrscheinlichkeit ein elektrostatisches (kapazitives) Problem simulieren, denn in Ihrem Vakuum fliesst kein Strom, andererseits liegend die Metallteile wie in solchen Fällen üblich alle auf definierten Potentialen, d.h. innerhalb der Metallteile gibt es keine elektrischen Felder.

Diese Art von Problemstellung berechnen Sie am besten mit dem Interface "Electrostatics", d.h. der Gleichung -div(\epsilon \grad V) = 0. Leitfähigkeit kommt darin nicht vor, alle Metallteile werden nicht in die Simulation aufgenommen, Potentiale definirenen Sie nur auf den Rändern dieser Metallteile.

Ströme fliessen in solchen Systemn nur in ultrakurzen Zeitspannen, dann sind die Ladungen verteilt und es herrschet ein stationäres Feld ohne Stromfluss. Nur wenn Sie diese sehr kurze Ladephase auflösen möchten, oder bei sehr hohen frequenzen arebieten, benötigen Sie das INterface "electric currents".

Bitte schauen Sie sich die Tutorials AC/DC Module > Capacitive Devices an.

Ich hoffe, diese Angaben sind hilfreich.

Freundliche Grüsse aus dem Technopark Zürich.

Sven Friedel

Hallo Andreas, sie möchten nach aller wahrscheinlichkeit ein elektrostatisches (kapazitives) Problem simulieren, denn in Ihrem Vakuum fliesst kein Strom, andererseits liegend die Metallteile wie in solchen Fällen üblich alle auf definierten Potentialen, d.h. innerhalb der Metallteile gibt es keine elektrischen Felder. Diese Art von Problemstellung berechnen Sie am besten mit dem Interface "Electrostatics", d.h. der Gleichung -div(\epsilon \grad V) = 0. Leitfähigkeit kommt darin nicht vor, alle Metallteile werden nicht in die Simulation aufgenommen, Potentiale definirenen Sie nur auf den Rändern dieser Metallteile. Ströme fliessen in solchen Systemn nur in ultrakurzen Zeitspannen, dann sind die Ladungen verteilt und es herrschet ein stationäres Feld ohne Stromfluss. Nur wenn Sie diese sehr kurze Ladephase auflösen möchten, oder bei sehr hohen frequenzen arebieten, benötigen Sie das INterface "electric currents". Bitte schauen Sie sich die Tutorials AC/DC Module > Capacitive Devices an. Ich hoffe, diese Angaben sind hilfreich. Freundliche Grüsse aus dem Technopark Zürich. Sven Friedel

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2013, 04:09 UTC−4
Hallo Sven Friedel,

Vielen Dank für die ausführliche Antwort, das hilft mir sehr! Da meine Simulation später noch mit thermischen Modulen ergänzt werden soll, stellt sich aber nun folgende Frage:

Wenn ich meine Box nun aus Kupfer- und Widerstandsstreifen (z.B. 10 kOhm pro Streifen) basteln möchte, kann ich dann immernoch das Electrostatics-Modul nehmen? Ich würde gerne sehen, um wieviel sich die Temperatur erhöht, wenn ich diese Potentiale anlege und zum Beispiel 1 nA Strom durch das System fliesst. Dafür brauche ich doch das Electric Currents-Modul - oder?

Nochmals herzlichen Dank für die schnelle Antwort,
Grüsse aus der ETH,
Andreas
Hallo Sven Friedel, Vielen Dank für die ausführliche Antwort, das hilft mir sehr! Da meine Simulation später noch mit thermischen Modulen ergänzt werden soll, stellt sich aber nun folgende Frage: Wenn ich meine Box nun aus Kupfer- und Widerstandsstreifen (z.B. 10 kOhm pro Streifen) basteln möchte, kann ich dann immernoch das Electrostatics-Modul nehmen? Ich würde gerne sehen, um wieviel sich die Temperatur erhöht, wenn ich diese Potentiale anlege und zum Beispiel 1 nA Strom durch das System fliesst. Dafür brauche ich doch das Electric Currents-Modul - oder? Nochmals herzlichen Dank für die schnelle Antwort, Grüsse aus der ETH, Andreas

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 sept. 2013, 09:57 UTC−4

Hi Andreas,

yes, if you want to model effects of current flow you have to use the ec. physics. However, as long as you choose the He-conductivity very much lower than the conductivity of the metallic domains, the potentials will be correct.
If I understood your setup properly a linear potential profile between the corners should be correct in the vacuum domain.
You can illustrate the potentials inside the volume using cut planes and cut lines just as you need.

Cheers
Edgar

P.S. Using German is convenient for us German native speakers but it drastically reduces the audience and thus the number of potential contributors to your issue.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Hi Andreas, yes, if you want to model effects of current flow you have to use the ec. physics. However, as long as you choose the He-conductivity very much lower than the conductivity of the metallic domains, the potentials will be correct. If I understood your setup properly a linear potential profile between the corners should be correct in the vacuum domain. You can illustrate the potentials inside the volume using cut planes and cut lines just as you need. Cheers Edgar P.S. Using German is convenient for us German native speakers but it drastically reduces the audience and thus the number of potential contributors to your issue. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.