Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem meshing thin layers

Fnu Mohammed Taqiuddin

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have trouble meshing my geometry(attached).
My geometry consists of very thin layers(0.1mm). After reading some discussions i tried many options like giving small element size(0.05mm),......, and dividing my geometry into parts even that didn't helped.

i would appreciate any help or any suggestions.
Thanks.
Mohammed.

4 Replies Last Post 28 juin 2014, 20:35 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2013, 03:49 UTC−4
Do you need to have them in 3D or can a line be a solution?

sometimes comsol has a work around like thin conductive layers (which is meshed as a line but having a thickness parameter inside)
Do you need to have them in 3D or can a line be a solution? sometimes comsol has a work around like thin conductive layers (which is meshed as a line but having a thickness parameter inside)

Fnu Mohammed Taqiuddin

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2013, 10:03 UTC−4
Hi, Hans
Thanks for the reply.
I am a new user of COMSOL.
My geometry consists of a wing with PZT patches(Morphing wing). I will be using piezoelectric module and then using its results i will have a flow analysis also.So i am not sure if i can proceed that way.If you have any idea please let me know.
I tried to attach my .mph file but due to file size restriction i am unable to attach it.If you can provide me your email i will forward my .mph file so that you can have a look and can suggest me.
many thanks.
mohammed.
Hi, Hans Thanks for the reply. I am a new user of COMSOL. My geometry consists of a wing with PZT patches(Morphing wing). I will be using piezoelectric module and then using its results i will have a flow analysis also.So i am not sure if i can proceed that way.If you have any idea please let me know. I tried to attach my .mph file but due to file size restriction i am unable to attach it.If you can provide me your email i will forward my .mph file so that you can have a look and can suggest me. many thanks. mohammed.

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 juin 2014, 17:17 UTC−4
Hi,

Did you create the geometry in COMSOL or imported it from CAD? Just curious, as I am working on similar model. :)
Hi, Did you create the geometry in COMSOL or imported it from CAD? Just curious, as I am working on similar model. :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 juin 2014, 20:35 UTC−4

Dear All,

I have trouble meshing my geometry(attached).
My geometry consists of very thin layers(0.1mm). After reading some discussions i tried many options like giving small element size(0.05mm),......, and dividing my geometry into parts even that didn't helped.

i would appreciate any help or any suggestions.
Thanks.
Mohammed.

maybe this would help

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/120/
[QUOTE] Dear All, I have trouble meshing my geometry(attached). My geometry consists of very thin layers(0.1mm). After reading some discussions i tried many options like giving small element size(0.05mm),......, and dividing my geometry into parts even that didn't helped. i would appreciate any help or any suggestions. Thanks. Mohammed. [/QUOTE] maybe this would help http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/120/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.