Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Subdomain integration for effecive area calculation in PCF

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am doing a project based on parametric analysis of Photonic crystal fiber. For calculating effective area, I selected the option subdomain integration. I have given Ex*conj(Ex) to calculate numerator and (Ex*conj(Ex))^2 for denominator.

My doubt is in effective area equation for numerator one square term is there.
Is it need to square the value again in numarator?

For more clarification please go through the attachment..

Thanks in advance...

Jais John

2 Replies Last Post 9 mars 2014, 09:10 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2010, 11:09 UTC−4
Hi

from the dimensions here I believe you should respect the formula, no ?

if E is in [V/m] then ¦E¦^2 is (V/m)^2, now dx and dy are both in [m] (note current version 3.5a of Comsol tends to forget this in their integration variables) so your numerator is simply of units V^4

while the denominator is (V/m)^4*m^2 = V^4/m^2, which gives, once divided one by the other a unit of [m^2] for an area, and that is what I would expect, ... no ?

But this does still not necessarily mean that the formula is correct for what you are looking for ...

Hope this helps
Ivar

Hi from the dimensions here I believe you should respect the formula, no ? if E is in [V/m] then ¦E¦^2 is (V/m)^2, now dx and dy are both in [m] (note current version 3.5a of Comsol tends to forget this in their integration variables) so your numerator is simply of units V^4 while the denominator is (V/m)^4*m^2 = V^4/m^2, which gives, once divided one by the other a unit of [m^2] for an area, and that is what I would expect, ... no ? But this does still not necessarily mean that the formula is correct for what you are looking for ... Hope this helps Ivar

Polepalli Siva Krishna

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 mars 2014, 09:10 UTC−4
Hello sir,

i have to do surface integration of two outputs , which are having the same geometry and mesh
plese see my attachment
Hello sir, i have to do surface integration of two outputs , which are having the same geometry and mesh plese see my attachment

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.