Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin, planar multicoil electromagnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I have been trying to model an electromagnet in 3D that is flat and coiled like a spiral on a 2D plane (so the coils get smaller as they progress towards the center of the 2D structure). It would seem the best way to do this would be to use a numerical coil, however, the width of the wires is so small as compared to the rest of the model that I get errors. I was able to get a model to run well by using a linear muilticoil as a boundary instead of a volume, and setting one side of my boundary on the boundary of the 3D volume -I've attached an example. I am unsure whether this is the best way to model what I am looking for - in part because the linear settings say that the reference endes must be straight (which they're not) and in part because it's unclear what it is doing with the extra coils when I change the number of coils. I am hoping that it is taking the number of coils and the wire thickness and winding them in a 2D plane such that current would be flowing in from somewhere on the outside of the boundary and then out from a central point, but I'm not convinced this is the case since it says for linear coils the current must originate and terminate at exterior boundaries. Is this an appropriate way to model this type of coil, or must I go back to my error-filled numerical coil?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 8 juil. 2013, 04:42 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 juil. 2013, 04:42 UTC−4
Dear Scot,
to help you, modeling your model. I think we need more information about your model. Because i can not understand what you want do width a multy turn coil damane. The best way is, you make a short pictrure of your model.Width narrows, that show us what is waht. (its litle bit oldscool bud it helps, sorry for my bad english)

For the coil we need a some information.
Current
Freqency/ or DC
number of windings,
materials(Iron, cooper, ....)
and, and, and............

best regards viktor
Dear Scot, to help you, modeling your model. I think we need more information about your model. Because i can not understand what you want do width a multy turn coil damane. The best way is, you make a short pictrure of your model.Width narrows, that show us what is waht. (its litle bit oldscool bud it helps, sorry for my bad english) For the coil we need a some information. Current Freqency/ or DC number of windings, materials(Iron, cooper, ....) and, and, and............ best regards viktor

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.